Dynadot

What's your process when picking domains on ExpiredDomains.net?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hello,
Never really looked into expireddomains.net. always been one to handreg. Seems lucrative to grab an expired domain especially if it has some nice stats like backlinks and ranking.

But is the data on ExpiredDomains.net accurate?

I've seen some domains on there with ridiculous stats like 70,000 backlinks and high Alex rank.

I have read that people try to handreg these domains or of course order backorders or buy them from godaddy closeouts just because of their stats so they can use them for their Private Blog Networks.

But how does one choose a winner?

Is it as easy as "wow! 133,000 backlinks? high alex rank?"

I had found one domain and gave it a shot and go it via closeout. What I forgot to do is check the domain simply by going to the url.

I did this only after I got it.

Found out the domain with 75,000 backlinks was blacklisted by Google.

So what's your strategy when picking a domain from expireddomains?
Do you have a PBN?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,
Never really looked into expireddomains.net. always been one to handreg. Seems lucrative to grab an expired domain especially if it has some nice stats like backlinks and ranking.

But is the data on ExpiredDomains.net accurate?

I've seen some domains on there with ridiculous stats like 70,000 backlinks and high Alex rank.

I have read that people try to handreg these domains or of course order backorders or buy them from godaddy closeouts just because of their stats so they can use them for their Private Blog Networks.

But how does one choose a winner?

Is it as easy as "wow! 133,000 backlinks? high alex rank?"

I had found one domain and gave it a shot and go it via closeout. What I forgot to do is check the domain simply by going to the url.

I did this only after I got it.

Found out the domain with 75,000 backlinks was blacklisted by Google.

So what's your strategy when picking a domain from expireddomains?
Do you have a PBN?

You have to get up in there, get your hands dirty, find out what works for you. You can have people tell you their exact process, and then they'll see you competing on some of the same terms. It's a tool. Imagine baseball players, all go to the plate with a bat. Some are going to hit home runs, get singles, have a career. Some do nothing but strike out. Go practice with the tool.

•••
Some domainers try to buy the cheapest stuff at the cheapest prices possible and others are willing to pay for something with higher than reg fee value. Whatever works for you but in general the ones scraping bottom keep scraping bottom because too many competitors at the bottom, less competitors at the higher levels.

•••
You have to get up in there, get your hands dirty, find out what works for you. You can have people tell you their exact process, and then they'll see you competing on some of the same terms. It's a tool. Imagine baseball players, all go to the plate with a bat. Some are going to hit home runs, get singles, have a career. Some do nothing but strike out. Go practice with the tool.

Thanks for your input JB Lions. I understand and I have but a lot of the data on there might as well be Martian language to me and makes me say "so what?". But I do respect that these numbers mean something to different people. Mainly Domainers or PBN owners.

For example, the column data.

• Domain: Domain Name
  • BL: Majestic External Backlinks, Click on the Number for Related Links
  • DP: SEOkicks Domain Pop - Number of Backlinks from different Domains
  • ABY: The Birth Year of the Domain using the first found Date from archive.org
  • ACR: Archive.org Number of Crawl Results
  • Alexa: Alexa Traffic Rank (3 month average)
  • Dmoz: Status of the Domain in Dmoz.org
  • C: DNS Status .com of Domain Name
  • N: DNS Status .net of Domain Name
  • O: DNS Status .org of Domain Name
  • D: DNS Status .de of Domain Name
  • Reg: Number of TLDs the Domain Name is Registered
  • RDT: Number of Related Domains in .com/.net/.org/.biz/.info (starts with + ends with)
  • End Date: Date the Domain will be removed from this Domain List
  • RL: Click on the Icon to see a list of Related Links for the Domain
At first glance, a novice like me would zero in on the words "external backlinks" and "Number of backlinks from different domains"

But then you have to make sure the Alexa Rank number is low. The lower the better and when you do check the Alexa Rank it is almost in the millions. Is this normal?

What numbers matter most to you?

do any of these other columns matter? and why? like for example. ACR : Archive.org Number of Crawls.

I guess for a domainer the Reg: Number of TLDs the domain name is registered is useful data but I doubt that matters to a PBN owner.

I'm looking into starting my own PBN.

•••
Thanks for your input JB Lions. I understand and I have but a lot of the data on there might as well be Martian language to me and makes me say "so what?". But I do respect that these numbers mean something to different people. Mainly Domainers or PBN owners.

For example, the column data.

• Domain: Domain Name
  • BL: Majestic External Backlinks, Click on the Number for Related Links
  • DP: SEOkicks Domain Pop - Number of Backlinks from different Domains
  • ABY: The Birth Year of the Domain using the first found Date from archive.org
  • ACR: Archive.org Number of Crawl Results
  • Alexa: Alexa Traffic Rank (3 month average)
  • Dmoz: Status of the Domain in Dmoz.org
  • C: DNS Status .com of Domain Name
  • N: DNS Status .net of Domain Name
  • O: DNS Status .org of Domain Name
  • D: DNS Status .de of Domain Name
  • Reg: Number of TLDs the Domain Name is Registered
  • RDT: Number of Related Domains in .com/.net/.org/.biz/.info (starts with + ends with)
  • End Date: Date the Domain will be removed from this Domain List
  • RL: Click on the Icon to see a list of Related Links for the Domain
At first glance, a novice like me would zero in on the words "external backlinks" and "Number of backlinks from different domains"

But then you have to make sure the Alexa Rank number is low. The lower the better and when you do check the Alexa Rank it is almost in the millions. Is this normal?

What numbers matter most to you?

do any of these other columns matter? and why? like for example. ACR : Archive.org Number of Crawls.

I guess for a domainer the Reg: Number of TLDs the domain name is registered is useful data but I doubt that matters to a PBN owner.

I'm looking into starting my own PBN.

Take with a grain of salt, because as everyone before me has said, you have to really get down and dirty with the tool to have it work to your benefit. You'll have personally preferences of what you are looking for as you get more experienced using it. That being said.....

What would matter to me when it involves a PBN or starting a site on a used domain would lean more into a decent Majestic Trust Ratio, if the links haven't been spammed to death already, and if the domain already has SEO value such as SEMRush. Before they removed SimilarWeb on ExpiredDomains because they started charging for their API, I found that was the most accurate tool to determine what kind of traffic the domain name had in the past compared to Alexa, SEMRush, etc. and would look over the old website on Wayback Machine to get a general idea of what topics gained traction on the old site. You would need to get the trial version of SimilarWeb, which is free to see detailed views from the past three months. Keep in mind that if a domain name has started going through the pending stage, you have roughly about one month of data to really go through. Being auctioned before being placed into pending status? About two months of data. There was a case study comparing the two, but since I can't post links, you'll just have to search on Google for it that compared their combined traffic for desktop+mobile and desktop traffic(which was the more accurate statistic to keep a look at).

The columns I would look at keeping for SEO value would be Majestic's Citation Flow, Trust Flow, and Trust Ratio along with Archive.org. SEOkicks isn't too bad, but not the most useful. To double-check what Majestic is saying, toss the domain name into Ahrefs Backlink checker to dig down a bit further and see if those links still exist/haven't been removed. DMOZ directory is decent to keep, because there are still some mirror sites that host what DMOZ had listed before they went down. The rest that you have listed I wouldn't personally worry about, especially with the number of TLDs registered and related domains, since with a PBN, you are really only interested in the traffic/SEO value that the domain currently has.

•••
Almost forgot. Keep in the Archive.org columns. They are also very useful in getting a better vision of how active the site is/how often it may have been visited in the past.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back