IT.COM

discuss Whois Data and Privacy Settings for Inbound Inquiry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TopBrandsForSale

NameFinest.comUpgraded Member
Impact
Do you guys keep your privacy ON or OFF?

I've recently got an email through the DynaDot whois system from a domain broker asking for one of my domains.

The offer was good!

So I'm wondering if I should give up my privacy and make it easier for everyone to email me directly.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, I'd keep mine on. Far too many spam and sales emails (and blatant fraud attempts) to contend with when it's off. In the early days 15 plus years ago it wasn't really a problem but not today. Your never really going to miss a sale providing your home page resolves to a sales lander. I doubt anyone considers a domain without checking this out first, even before the whois

Sure the direct monetary approach always looks more appealing but that enquiry would find its way to you anyway. Just factor in the commission fees when your encouraging sales by services

Last edited:
•••
Well, I'd keep mine on. Far too many spam and sales emails (and blatant fraud attempts) to contend with when it's off. In the early days 15 plus years ago it wasn't really a problem but not today. Your never really going to miss a sale providing your home page resolves to a sales lander. I doubt anyone considers a domain without checking this out first, even before the whois

Just factor in the commission fees when your encouraging sales by services
Yes but maybe if they want to make an offer when the domain is set to BIN, it will be easier...

Just thinking...

•••
Yes but maybe if they want to make an offer when the domain is set to BIN, it will be easier...

Just thinking...
Despite what people think, anonymous Fixed priced domains do not stop offers finding their way to you. (as you have found out) It just needs the domain to be worthwhile and valuable enough for a Service to find it worth their time/reward. $ 4 figures +

So if your trying to sell a lot of $500 domains maybe go your preferred route. Just expect a ton of spam email, and it wont stop if you switch privacy back-on. I would only have it off if I was one of the large brokers or resellers dealing with enquiries every day.

If your domains are good also expect a load of low-ballers

Last edited:
•••
Privacy and redaction was introduced for a reason and most of the registrars enable it by default which is preferred by most domain owners.

While registrars generally offer customization options, allowing you to disable certain features according to your preferences, it's important to note that opting out may expose you to potential data mining by scrappers and an increased likelihood of receiving spam.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back