IT.COM

question Can I put 2 nameservers on one domain name like afternic and Dan nameserver .on namecheap ragistrar

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jssonu0007

Impact
There are no views or sales on my portfolio at all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Never combine DAN and Afternic nameservers. It will cause problems with TLS (https), and other inconsistencies.

•••
Upvote 0
There are no views or sales on my portfolio at all.

No, using one nameserver from one parking provider and another nameserver from a different parking provider for the same domain name is generally not advisable nor effective. Here's why:

1. Nameservers are responsible for directing traffic to the server where your content is hosted. By using nameservers from two different parking services, you'll create inconsistency in how your domain's DNS queries are resolved. This inconsistency can lead to unpredictable results depending on which nameserver responds to the query first, potentially causing your website's content to switch back and forth between the two parking services.

2. DNS records, including A records (which point to the IP address of the server where your website is hosted) and MX records (which direct email), are managed through the nameservers. Using two sets from different providers can create conflicts in these records, leading to issues with website display and email delivery.

3. DNS resolution efficiency could be compromised due to the split configuration, potentially affecting the load times and reliability of your parked page. Users might experience delays or errors when trying to access your domain.

4. Many parking services design their system under the assumption that they have full control over the domain's DNS to display ads and track analytics effectively. Splitting nameservers might violate their policies or result in suboptimal performance or non-display of ads, affecting your potential earnings.

Most registrars, including Namecheap, require you to specify at least two nameservers primarily for redundancy and reliability purposes, but these should belong to the same hosting or parking service. If your goal is to park your domain and potentially earn revenue from it (through ads, for example), you should select a single parking provider that meets your needs in terms of revenue sharing, reliability, and analytics capabilities.

•••
Upvote 0
No, you can't. Or better yet: you can, but things will stop working then. I advise you to learn how internet and DNS system work before entering the domaining business. Just like in any other business, one should learn at list the basics.

•••
Upvote 0
No, using one nameserver from one parking provider and another nameserver from a different parking provider for the same domain name is generally not advisable nor effective.
Hi

on the contrary, i have done this in the past many times, with high traffic domains.

majority of traffic usually goes to the ns1, but traffic also goes to ns2/ns3 and ns4

for me, it was quick way to test various platforms at same time.

imo....

•••
Upvote 0
on the contrary, i have done this in the past many times, with high traffic domains.

majority of traffic usually goes to the ns1, but traffic also goes to ns2/ns3 and ns4

Well, in the days before TLS certificates became commonplace, this statement held true.

While it might seem tempting to mix and match nameservers from various domain marketplaces, and it might look like it is working (n=1), there are compelling reasons to avoid doing so.

Certificate Generation Issues. The DNS Challenge, commonly used for generating Let’s Encrypt certificates, relies on accurate DNS records. When you combine nameservers from different marketplaces, there’s a significant risk that the generation of Transport Layer Security (TLS) certificates will fail due to inconsistencies or misconfigurations. See https://letsencrypt.org/docs/challenge-types/

TLS Implementation Differences. Some domain marketplaces implement TLS (the protocol that ensures secure communication over the internet), while others do not. When you blend nameservers, you’re essentially mixing TLS-capable and non-TLS-capable components. This can lead to unexpected behavior for visitors, especially with modern browsers that remember TLS capability on a per-website basis. Imagine a scenario where a user (or web crawler) lands on your site, experiences a secure TLS connection, and then returns later only to find that the same page lacks TLS.

So yes, it might work, but it's not technically correct and will cause trouble for visitors, and for the technical infrastructure behind marketplaces, even if you do not notice this yourself.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Hi

imo....

The scenario you've described involves assigning multiple nameservers from different parking providers to a single domain to distribute traffic across these providers. This setup can serve various strategies, including performance testing, redundancy, and revenue comparison among different providers. However, the behavior and resolution of such configurations can be complex and not entirely predictable due to how DNS resolution processes work.

The DNS Resolution Process:

Query Initiation: When a user tries to access your domain, their device starts a DNS query to resolve the domain name to an IP address.

Root and TLD Servers: The query first reaches a root nameserver and then a TLD (Top-Level Domain) nameserver, which directs it to the authoritative nameservers listed for the domain.

Authoritative Nameservers Response: The DNS resolver then queries one of the authoritative nameservers for the final IP address. The chosen nameserver is typically determined by the resolver's algorithms, which might consider factors like response time, geographical proximity, and possibly cached information.

When you list multiple nameservers from different parking providers:

Rotational or Random Selection: DNS resolvers may select which nameserver to query in a rotational or somewhat randomized manner. This selection can be influenced by the resolver's logic, aiming to balance or optimize the load or response efficiency.

Caching: Once a resolver has queried a nameserver and obtained an IP address, it will cache this information for a specified time (dictated by the TTL, or Time To Live, value). Subsequent queries for the same domain by users reliant on the same resolver within the TTL window will receive the cached IP, likely reducing the traffic to other nameservers.

Geographical and Network Factors: Different users might reach different nameservers based on their geographical location or their ISP’s networking routing and DNS resolver configurations.

How Does It Correctly Resolve?

Despite these complexities, DNS resolution from your domain to the intended parking provider's page typically works correctly because each of the nameservers (regardless of the provider) contains the necessary DNS records to resolve queries for your domain. Since you list all of them as authoritative for your domain, they are all considered valid sources of information for resolution purposes.

However, this approach can introduce inconsistencies:

Propagation and Synchronization Delays: When updates are made to DNS records, there can be propagation delays. If different providers have different refresh rates or encounter synchronization lags, it can lead to temporary inconsistencies in how the domain resolves for different users.

Analytics and Tracking Issues: It can be challenging to accurately track performance, traffic distribution, and revenue attribution across different providers due to the non-deterministic way DNS resolvers select nameservers.

User Experience Variability: Since different parking providers might serve different content or ads, users could have inconsistent experiences based on which nameserver was queried.

The best practice is, while using multiple nameservers from different providers for a domain can be a quick way to test various platforms, it is generally recommended to stick with a single provider per domain for consistency, especially for production or high-traffic domains. For testing, consider using subdomains or specific test domains to isolate the evaluation of each parking provider without affecting the main domain's resolution behavior and user experience.

•••
Upvote 0
Well, in the days before TLS certificates became commonplace, this statement held true.

While it might seem tempting to mix and match nameservers from various domain marketplaces, and it might look like it is working (n=1), there are compelling reasons to avoid doing so.

Certificate Generation Issues. The DNS Challenge, commonly used for generating Let’s Encrypt certificates, relies on accurate DNS records. When you combine nameservers from different marketplaces, there’s a significant risk that the generation of Transport Layer Security (TLS) certificates will fail due to inconsistencies or misconfigurations. See https://letsencrypt.org/docs/challenge-types/

TLS Implementation Differences. Some domain marketplaces implement TLS (the protocol that ensures secure communication over the internet), while others do not. When you blend nameservers, you’re essentially mixing TLS-capable and non-TLS-capable components. This can lead to unexpected behavior for visitors, especially with modern browsers that remember TLS capability on a per-website basis. Imagine a scenario where a user (or web crawler) lands on your site, experiences a secure TLS connection, and then returns later only to find that the same page lacks TLS.

So yes, it might work, but it's not technically correct and will cause trouble for visitors, and for the technical infrastructure behind marketplaces, even if you do not notice this yourself.
Thanks for this very keen insight. So one concern here is that if enough people try doing this NS mix and match, it could eventually negatively impact the ranking of that website?

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Thanks for this very keen insight. So one concern here is that if enough people try doing this NS mix and match, it could eventually negatively impact the ranking of that website?
Well, I didn't touch on that topic in my previous posting above, but my general feeling is that a modern search engine probably won't appreciate it if a website shows different content with each crawler visit. A search engine wants to provide its users with reliable content, which is consistent and helpful.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Well, I didn't touch on that topic in my previous posting above, but my general feeling is that a modern search engine probably won't appreciate it if a website shows different content with each crawler visit. A search engine wants to provide its users with reliable content, which is consistent and helpful.
So if mixing the NS has potential ranking impacts, does having the ns3 for verification cause any issues as well?

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
So does having the ns3 for verification cause any issues as well, including potentially affecting ranking?
Such a third nameserver behaves similarly to the other two nameservers; it provides the same destination IP address of the webserver, and the content of the lander will be exactly the same. The only issue here concerns your privacy. It's easier for others (including lawyers) to map all your domains, because the third verification nameserver contains a unique string that is the same for all your domains. Oh, and there are some corner cases of registrars/registries not accepting the unique third (*.hn, etc) verification nameserver for some ccTLDs.

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back