IT.COM

debate Domaining is over. Domainers must now drop the domains.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reallybigidea.com

THIS DOMAIN SOLD. Username is not valid.Top Member
Impact
Domaining is over. Domainers must now drop the domains.
Do you agree?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If human interaction through digital devices becomes the de facto way in which we socialize, severe mental issues will become a part of daily life and this will be the beginning of the collapse of the human civilization.

Already happening... Look no further than this thread.
It needs some serious incantation work.

•••
•••
Is there not a spot to close thread if you want? If not report opening post and ask mods to close it.

•••
Yes, when the world ends.

I wonder what is your goal for this thread...
Literally

19823-8ACE08FB-30A4-47D8-9A52-5E81AE33FCE0-0-1471471880.gif

•••
Do you agree?

it's as over as every other bad thing in world happening now.. doesnt mean whole world should drop all they have and kill themselves...

•••
ahahh.. domains will.be totally irrelevant by 2040.
Even so i will be to old to care about domains in 2040
But i dont think will be end unless some nukes will hit us 😂

•••
ahahh.. domains will.be totally irrelevant by 2040.
What do you think could take their place to signify somebody's space on the net, or direct people to it?

Last edited:
•••
Do you agree?
Domaining never ends in the infinite continuum of cyberspace.

Perhaps the issue here is the OP's definition of the term "domaining", as this differs amongst 'domainers'.

For me, "Domaining" means Domain Naming, or, more accurately, addressing... because naming is just the beginning of addressing space. In this, and many other, ways domaining is actually in its infancy.

•••
u have to use dynamite.. or russian tank

Not helping. Moreover, they portfolio keeps expanding. I think they started giving birth or dividing into two every fixed period.

•••
Economy prospects are terrible, nonetheless sales are still there.

Obviously one needs to adjust the portoflio taking into consideration lower STRs and forecasted market demand changes, but frankly this apply to many sectors in this market environment.

We are just witnessing a slowdown, the market will continue to grow once consumer confidence will be restored.

Inflation will not last forever and the Ukraine-Russia conflict will not last for long if you look at the rate of which they are destroying their armies (on both sides).

That is not the time to give up, this is the right moment to study harder and invest for the years to come IMHO.

Last edited:
•••
@DNGear Drop your XYZ portfolio. Stop making money

Last edited:
•••
I would agree with your first point that any serious company needs and has at least one domain name.

But if I am following correctly what you are saying in the following that 99% of companies have no interest in Web3/5, I don't agree. I do agree with, as in early days of blockchain, there is not much understanding and a lot of buzzwords. But I think enough corporate leaders are interested to be sure what sort of threat it may offer to how they traditionally operate.
Name one serious well known business that doesn't utilize web3, 5, 7 ..., have zero interest in those and is generally clueless about the thing. Again, not sure about the number, but probably over 99%.
There is at least one company interested. While people know Jack Dorsey as founder of Twitter, he is now the CEO of Block. They did $17.7 billion in payments in 2021. Since he had his people come up with the Web5 proposal, as I understand it, they are interested. I am sure that the big tech companies are interested, because if Web3 becomes what they proponents foresee it is a huge challenge to their control of so much of the internet today.

-Bob

PS I am out of edit window on previous post, but 'their' should be 'there' of course. Grrr... I hate short edit windows! (and don't know how I typed that :arghh: )

Last edited:
•••
I would agree with your first point that any serious company needs and has at least one domain name.

But if I am following correctly what you are saying in the following that 99% of companies have no interest in Web3/5, I don't agree. I do agree with, as in early days of blockchain, there is not much understanding and a lot of buzzwords. But I think enough corporate leaders are interested to be sure what sort of threat it may offer to how they traditionally operate.

There is at least one company interested. While people know Jack Dorsey as founder of Twitter, he is now the CEO of Block. They did $17.7 billion in payments in 2021. Since he had his people come up with the Web5 proposal, as I understand it, they are interested. I am sure that the big tech companies are interested, because if Web3 becomes what they proponents foresee it is a huge challenge to their control of so much of the internet today.

-Bob

PS I am out of edit window on previous post, but 'their' should be 'there' of course. Grrr... I hate short edit windows! (and don't know how I typed that :arghh: )

That proves nothing, basically. I'd estimate that there are 100 000 top companies in the world that are well known either globally, or regionally, or within an industry or all of those. I'd still argue that no more than 1000 of those might have dabbled in web3, web5 etc.

The same ratio would probably be true for the top 1 mil companies, etc.

Moneywise, even 100 billion turnover is still under 1% of the global trade turnover that doesn't involve any of those new webs.

•••
You think the leaders of Meta, Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. have no interest in what Web3/5 is proposed as being and how it would impact the current web? Collectively they represent a lot of dollars.
(edit -- this was in response to @Recons.Com not the comment by Brad that comes just above)

Last edited:
•••
•••
You think the leaders of Meta, Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. have no interest in what Web3/5 is proposed as being and how it would impact the current web? Collectively they represent a lot of dollars.
(edit -- this was in response to @Recons.Com not the comment by Brad that comes just above)

They do. If it is a $30 billion dollar a year market, that is nothing to sneeze at. They are well positioned to grab 5 to 10% of the market share and that would be 1.5 billion to 3 billion a year business. Why not?

But, if we are comparing the traditional domains and Web#N domains when it comes to underlying businesses, that is still 99%+ vs under 1%.

•••
Not sure it's dead but certainly it has lost it's shine, I would call it normalisation. The activity in this market used to be bonkers on a resell level. But that was inevitable to die I guess, out of 100 domains, if you can't sell even 1, you will fold. Now it's mostly focused on providing value for the end customer, resell is kind of dead

Last edited:
•••
It's hard to make any widespread proclamations on the state of the market in general.

There are too many different business models. I generally make one-off sales to end users.
I basically don't sell domains to re-sellers. There is always some end user demand for decent to great domains.

If you are a re-seller, it could be harder hit. If you are involved in fields that are more speculative like Web3 (Crypto, NFT, etc.) that is likely going to struggle more than others with rising inflation and interest rates.

A lot of the garbage projects will get washed out like with the dot-com bubble. That will take a lot of money out of the field IMO.

In my experience the end user demand has increased over the years, but not anywhere close to the re-sell prices.
Every marginal .COM sells for like mid $XXX+ now on GD auctions. There is likely to be pullback in that type of speculation. If capital becomes limited, people will become more selective.

Brad

•••
You know what? I am not btc market expert, but with this sell off, big whales will be able to buy cheaply all individual's btc.

•••
there is surely a dip in sales and new registrations, there are many factors affecting this dip, but this doesn't mean domaining is over. It's just a rough patch, this too shall pass. Fingers crossed.
Source for the dip in new registrations?

•••
Lack of data is the problem. So forecasting is not reliable based on insufficient data.

I don't agree. There is plenty of data. I'm talking 'serious' domain investing here. 3L .coms, single words, liquids.

I don't think so for the short term and long term (5 years)

Short term probably not. If there's a downtrend, 5-7 years is not that uncommon. Not a big problem if you look at the bigger picture.

People (small investors) are selling their assets in order to finance their debts and increasing costs.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean the demand isn't there. It only means the funds aren't there. Once the economic downturn will come to an end, the funds will be there again with an even bigger demand.

People (small investors) are selling their assets in order to finance their debts and increasing costs.

Yes, that's exactly why this is the time to pick them up at a discount :) I bought some LLLL.coms for $45 each the other week. That's ridiculous.

Domains differ in terms of risks and profit expectations. For me domains are risky investments. Cryptos on the other hand are safer and offer higher profits. Also crypto market has sufficient price and volume data compared to domains, is easier to forecast with technical analysis as well as non-technical analysis. From investor point of view, entering to crypto markets requires less knowledge, holding crypto in cold wallets is safer than holding almost all type of assets including domains, no renewal for instance.

This reads to me as if you got lucky on your crypto investments. These kind of assets are actually one of the higher risk assets you can hold. They have no real value. It might go up again eventually but that's a gamble. Not backed by data. They could be rendered useless. Way too early and young asset to support a forecast longterm with reliable data. Real estate however, sure bet for 30 years to come if you can afford to hold. So are domains. The world population isn't going to reduce anytime soon, hence the higher demand.

Could take 5 - 7 years in my opinion.

Yes. 7 years is not uncommon in real estate. It's actually one of the 'golden rules' we invest by. Once there's a 7 year uptrend (give or take), expect things to go down. Same goes for the other way around. Might differ depending on your geo location obviously.

I don't think that the next 5 years is the best time to hold domains for long term. Because overall domain prices will likely go down in inflation adjusted value for 5 years or so. Currently the main issue is to protect assets from inflation and other macroeconomic variables, lowering apparent risks, rather than increasing profits. Everyone is different. Someone may make good profits while almost everyone is trying to avoid losses.

You can either sell below value now or hold for another decade. Again, I'm talking serious domains here. Not brandables, huge domains alike portfolios. Demand will 100% go up. Now is not the time to offload your liquids.

Even so, if you can afford to hold... Hold whatever you can that's any good. Good domains are harder to come by every day. It's always been like this for the past 30 years or so.

That being said... I agree there are some concerns for the average investor... The past 5-6 years have been easy if you'd ask me.

•••
If human interaction through digital devices becomes the de facto way in which we socialize, severe mental issues will become a part of daily life and this will be the beginning of the collapse of the human civilization.
Wasn't something like this foretold in the sci fi novel Dune, where the humans declared no thinking-like technology should be allowed ever again?

•••
Do you agree?
I somewhat agree with this, dont make domaining your full time is my advise. Just hold the good ones and wait for a good sale.

•••
2022 has been my best year as a full-time domainer.

As domainers, we shouldn't be afraid about thinking outside the box and to be open to change our strategies. What worked five years ago, might not work now.

•••
The advantage of the app is you usually don't have to worry about the handle being taken. Saves thousands just having app.
It is also a downside as you have no control over your company on a third party platform.
You are at the whim of the company/app itself.

Also, 99.99% of small companies will never create their own app. It is not cost effective.
No one is going to download an app for some really narrow use.
What I find odd is how so many domainers are jumping ship and dropping .coms over the 0.xx price increase in renewals, I get that some raised it by $1 taking advantage of people even when the increase was pennies. What would you rather have a solid app name or a .com? Or would you do both?
If a small price increase causes you to drop a lot of domains, your margins are way too narrow.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back