Domain Empire

Escrow.com does not accept checks over $2,000

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I am selling a name through Escrow.com and the buyer wants to pay by check but Escrow.com doesn't accept checks over $2,000. I called Escrow Hill and they don't accept checks at all.

Can you please help me with possible options.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They accept checks, but as you said there is a 2k limit. There wire transfer,CC, Paypal. If the buyer is in USA, they take money orders, maybe multiple moneyorders (I don't remember if the maximum amount for postal) And cashier's checks Goodluck

•••
Wire transfer.. Or try Ecop.com. Don't know about their policy about checks, but at least they accept Paypal payments from all countries not just USA (also, for paypal in Escrow.com, both the buyer and seller need to be from the USA which sucks in my opinion).

•••
Check would be coming from their company headquarters in another country. Options would be easier to figure out if it was for less money but the sale is for $XX,XXX.

•••
Check would be coming from their company headquarters in another country. Options would be easier to figure out if it was for less money but the sale is for $XX,XXX.

Why do they want to pay by check instead of wiring it?

•••
Why do they want to pay by check instead of wiring it?

They said it's corporate policy that they always pay by company check.

•••
They said it's corporate policy that they always pay by company check.

That sounds like a crazy way to do business. I think it takes somewhere around a month for an international check to clear.

•••
That's not so crazy, it's more common than you believe for big companies pay through checks for external services or, like in this case, domains.

•••
big companies do not use checks, they use electronic fund transfers. also services don't like dealing with checks because they can bounce.

•••
I know if you pay escrow.com by check they will not approve payment after about 23 days to make sure it can't be reversed. It's not worth waiting that long...

•••
Must not be that big of a company if they only use checks.
Or they do not have the money to cover the purchase and hope to have the money by the time the check hits their bank.
All companies use electronic transfers as it is cheaper than issuing checks.
And most companies only accept payment via electronic transfers.

•••
How about doing it through SEDO ?

•••
Must not be that big of a company if they only use checks.
Or they do not have the money to cover the purchase and hope to have the money by the time the check hits their bank.
All companies use electronic transfers as it is cheaper than issuing checks.
And most companies only accept payment via electronic transfers.
It's actually a good sized company with offices in 7 different countries. This is why I find it odd that they only want to pay by check.

•••
•••
PM Sent. Give Andee Hill a call and she can help. Good Luck with your sale!

•••
This may not be concrete yet, but I read on Domaingang that Uniregistry was planning to offer escrow and even domain financing.

Just in case you want an insecure option, Monkier do escrow, or did.

Yes international checks can bounce after four weeks - a common scam.

•••
Andee moved away from escrow. com if that's what you are saying...

•••
•••
Snapnames has an escrow service. I see in their terms that they accept checks and there's no mention of a limit. That being said, I've never used them.

•••
I would stay well away from Moniker and Snapnames if I were you. With all the horror stories you see on a regular basis about moniker and domains, I wouldn't trust them with escrow as I don't trust them with my names anymore..

•••
I would honestly tell them to pay via something other than check. Who doesn't have at least a debit card these days? I agree with the other member above saying that maybe they don't currently have the funds and plan to have them soon and thus want to send a check. It doesn't make sense for someone to only be able to pay by check. Even with paypal they can withdraw from their bank account and then pay escrow with paypal. But you would have to check as escrow accepts paypal only for domestic customers and with certain limits.

•••
I really appreciate everyones thoughts with this. We still haven't come to an acceptable alternative but still working on it.

Thanks so much.

•••
This clearly smells to me.. i would not accept checks ever if it was me, definitely go for an alternative payment solution..

•••
I agree, don't let the premise of getting a very high dollar sale blind you to the fact that anything and any company can try to scam you.. Wire payments are the norm for most businesses so you should ask yourself why they don't want to do that if they really want the domain..

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back