Dynadot

advice How do I stop someone trying to list my domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sjpals

Yeah, this is meTop Member
Impact
I have a domain listed at Squadhelp (the NS point there).
Everyday I am getting a message from my registrar that someone is trying to list the domain on Afternic. It says in the email to just ignore if I didnt try to list on afternic.
My domain is obviously locked.
Should I be worried? If I keep ignoring the emails, eg not authorising the domain to be listed on afternic, do you think this person will just stop? or do you think they will try other things?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At least a few of my names are listed by others on Afternic. One is listed at $150k. Today I found another on Godaddy. Most are expiring, so idgaf.

No, they won't just stop. They are scumbags and that's how they roll.

Meanwhile, Afternic makes it even harder for rightful owners to get these bogus listings pulled down.

•••
I have a domain listed at Squadhelp (the NS point there).
Everyday I am getting a message from my registrar that someone is trying to list the domain on Afternic. It says in the email to just ignore if I didnt try to list on afternic.
My domain is obviously locked.
Should I be worried? If I keep ignoring the emails, eg not authorising the domain to be listed on afternic, do you think this person will just stop? or do you think they will try other things?
List this domain on Afternic and select a "not for sale" status.

•••
The next time he tries to list this domain, he will not be able to do so, as he will receive a message that this domain is already listed in another account.

•••
•••
The next time he tries to list this domain, he will not be able to do so, as he will receive a message that this domain is already listed in another account.
I would have done that, but I have it listed on SH, and Im pretty sure you cant list in other places if its on SH

•••
I would have done that, but I have it listed on SH, and Im pretty sure you cant list in other places if its on SH
Hi, @Sjpals ,

If it's a Standard listing, you can list your domain everywhere else, as you probably know already.

If it's a Premium listing, you can't put it up for sale anywhere else, but maybe a "not for sale" listing as it is suggested would be alright with SH (you could check this with their Helpdesk).

•••
Hi, @Sjpals ,

If it's a Standard listing, you can list your domain everywhere else, as you probably know already.

If it's a Premium listing, you can't put it up for sale anywhere else, but maybe a "not for sale" listing as it is suggested would be alright with SH (you could check this with their Helpdesk).
ahh, ok, I see. Thanks!

•••
•••
Thanks everyone for your help.
I spoke to SH and they said there would be no problems triggered in the system if its unlisted in Afternic.
I added it, verified it with a TXT record, had to add a price? but then unlisted it straight after. Hopefully problem solved.

•••
I see that someone has already outlined the procedure: verify at Afternic and then immediately set to not for sale at Afternic. It is unfortunate we have to do this, but that is how it is.

I have now started making this part of my procedure when I list a name at SH - first make sure no one can list it at Afternic.

I used to think that false listings at Afternic were just errors or long ago listings not taken down (and probably most are), but clearly there are some cases of bad actors deliberately listing names that are actively for sale. I certainly hope Afternic are taken action against bad actors when they learn of them.

If Afternic would require verification for all listings, not just the ones not currently listed at Afternic, then it would immediately be impossible for bad actors to list names they do not control.

-Bob

•••
I see that someone has already outlined the procedure: verify at Afternic and then immediately set to not for sale at Afternic. It is unfortunate we have to do this, but that is how it is.

I have now started making this part of my procedure when I list a name at SH - first make sure no one can list it at Afternic.

I used to think that false listings at Afternic were just errors or long ago listings not taken down (and probably most are), but clearly there are some cases of bad actors deliberately listing names that are actively for sale. I certainly hope Afternic are taken action against bad actors when they learn of them.

If Afternic would require verification for all listings, not just the ones not currently listed at Afternic, then it would immediately be impossible for bad actors to list names they do not control.

-Bob
Thanks, I might have to check all my SH listings (and other domains) that are not listed on afternic already and maybe list and unlist them to ensure this doesnt happen again.

•••
Thanks, I might have to check all my SH listings (and other domains) that are not listed on afternic already and maybe list and unlist them to ensure this doesnt happen again.
In Squadhelp, if you go to your premium listings, you can also select a drop down that filters for “compliance issues” under “status”, which shows domains that have disallowed listings at Dan and Afternic.

•••
Sometime back I listed about 10 domains at afternic. Two of them, a 6L com and an 8L com, were declined with reason being already listed in other accounts.

Tried resolving the issue through their support but no use. In the meantime they consolidated and increased fees, whereby I simply removed all my domains from that coterie.

If someone bites those fraudulent listings they can't do anything as those domains are registered with unrelated registrars and locked.

I also suspect that the issue may be related to bugs in multi listing service distributions. So, I have removed all my MLS authorizations, everywhere.

•••
Sometime back I listed about 10 domains at afternic. Two of them, a 6L com and an 8L com, were declined with reason being already listed in other accounts.

Tried resolving the issue through their support but no use. In the meantime they consolidated and increased fees, whereby I simply removed all my domains from that coterie.

If someone bites those fraudulent listings they can't do anything as those domains are registered with unrelated registrars and locked.

I also suspect that the issue may be related to bugs in multi listing service distributions. So, I have removed all my MLS authorizations, everywhere.
I have found that when there has been an issue in the past, such as a domain already on afternic and I dont want to list it , I just phone them and give them proof its my domain and they have sorted it out quickly. The only pain is that I have hearing problems and need to pay for an international call. They do offer a contact form, but I have never seemed to received a reply from it.

•••
Hi @Sjpals
Thank you for creating this discussion. As others have said, the best method for you to secure listings at Afternic is to use our Add Domains flow to bring the listings into your Afternic account. Listings that are already active at Afternic will require ownership verification, just as you'd need to complete at Dan, or other marketplaces. You do also have the option to unlist from your portfolio page.

In case you missed it, Ownership Verification is an automated system that we introduced last year: https://www.godaddy.com/resources/news/afternic-landing-page-selection-ownership-verification, eradicating the need to contact our support team to remove listed domains.

We appreciate your input, Bob, and we are continuing to explore features for the second iteration of our Ownership Verification model.

•••
You can List a Standard domain from SH on any other Platform
If Its a Premium domain SH automatically Syncs it on Sedo , you cannot list on Dan but you can list on Afternic using the option " enable to sell on Afternic " Button in Premium domains section (But the Price at Afternic has to be atl 10% higher) ,if you used a coin for the Domain Listing

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back