vincew

Top Member
Impact
If you owned

wordword.com
word-word.com
wordword.xyz
word-word.xyz

and you were only going to sell 2 of them, which would you sell?

Would you sell

word-word.com and word-word.xyz
or
wordword.xyz and word-word.xyz?

In other words, would you sell the 2 domains that were hyphens or the 2 that were .xyz?

(note: The "word" used in all 4 domains is the same word, the only difference is the hyphen and/or the extension.)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The only thing that really has serious value in .XYZ at the moment are short domains and good single word terms.
The extension is not really popular with 2+ word terms.

Let's take an example keyword, say Carpet Cleaning.

CarpetCleaning.com is easily worth 6 figures.

Carpet-Cleaning.com I think is far better than CarpetCleaning.xyz, and the hyphenated .XYZ is not even a serious option.

For reference purposes, let's look at reported sales (from NameBio) -

14+ letter .COM have put up 175,000 sales for $180M.
14+ letter .COM that contain a hyphen have put up 7,367 sales for $4.9M.

14+ letter .XYZ have put up 39 sales for $23,100.
All hyphenated .XYZ have put up 14 sales for $2,691.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
One of those "it depends on the word" questions

Generally, I wouldn't hold a hyphened "XYZ", nor a two word "XYZ", and I'd be careful with a hyphened "COM", making sure its appropriate. Example: High-tech, high-rise, life-size, close-up...cases like this, they're appropriate. IMO

Same word examples:

funfun.com - Nice (XX,XXX)
fun-fun.com - Ok (XXX)
funfun.xyz - Nah (take offers)
fun-fun.xyz - Nah

sanctionsanction.com - Nah
sanction-sanction.com - Nah
sanctionsanction.xyz - Nah
sanction-sanction.xyz - Nah

Again, it depends on the word

Last edited:
•••
Thanks jhm and Brad, I appreciate your opinions.

I screwed up and did not explain myself properly in my first post. There are 2 different words in each domain. I should have said something like this (these are not the actual words):

cleancut.com
clean-cut.com
cleancut.xyz
clean-cut.xyz

where clean-cut is the proper spelling in the English language and cleancut and clean cut is not.

I own all 4 types of domains above (using different words than clean cut). I'm just trying to figure out whether to sell the 2 hyphen domains or the 2 .xyz domains.

•••
Thanks jhm and Brad, I appreciate your opinions.

I screwed up and did not explain myself properly in my first post. There are 2 different words in each domain. I should have said something like this (these are not the actual words):

cleancut.com
clean-cut.com
cleancut.xyz
clean-cut.xyz

where clean-cut is the proper spelling in the English language and cleancut and clean cut is not.

I own all 4 types of domains above (using different words than clean cut). I'm just trying to figure out whether to sell the 2 hyphen domains or the 2 .xyz domains.

As for these examples -

CleanCut.com is worth a lot. It is a mid $XX,XXX to low $XXX,XXX domain IMO.

This type of domain could sell for whatever to the right end user. There is really no ceiling on top quality .COM.

Clean-Cut.com is alright. It would likely sell for a few thousand to an end user.

CleanCut.xyz would have limited value. The buyer pool is way smaller.
Clean-Cut.xyz has no value.

I guess in summary, outside the .COM, the other (3) options likely have limited or no value IMO.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Yup, I'll "try" to sell them. :xf.wink:

•••
I am definitely leaning towards selling the 2 .xyz domains and keeping the dotcoms.

•••
I am definitely leaning towards selling the 2 .xyz domains and keeping the dotcoms.
The main issue is finding a buyer.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back