Dynadot

Just sold my first domain at Afternic.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ali

Top Member
Starfire Holdings
Impact
So, in my latest video I talked about uploading everything into Afternic, and pointing all my domains to their relative Afternic buy it now pages.

Well, I just sold my first domain through this method.

I will reveal the information once the deal is finalized ;)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Im a little confused but ,never sold anything on afternic but I sold quite a few on godaddy ,They picked up all the paypal charges what ever I sold they deducted there 15% or 20% and the rest was mine. Has this changed ,I cant see selling a chinese premium for 2200 and paying them 20% then paypal another$100 bucks or so.
Good question. I'm not sure if they cover PayPal fees or not. I will know when payment hits my PayPal. I just figured they didn't, but hey, maybe they do. @Joe Styler any insight into this?

•••
I am pretty sure they do cover the Paypal fees, but then again I could be wrong. If they do cover it then all it means that you pocketed an extra 4% :D;)

Maybe Joe Styler can clarify.

Congrats btw.

•••
Good question. I'm not sure if they cover PayPal fees or not. I will know when payment hits my PayPal. I just figured they didn't, but hey, maybe they do. @Joe Styler any insight into this?

They send payment via Mass Payout so there is no fee for the recipient. So you will receive full 80% sales amount.

•••
Congratulations with your sale

•••
So this is probably so being that pretty much all the others cover escrow included in there fat fee ,so this being an unexpected blessing the new 4% expense should be listed as the maui waui therapy fund,which I believe may be tax deductible if exhaled to the islands as a gift.

•••
We do not charge any PayPal fees, you should net what you net after our commissions. Part of our commission we charge covers the "escrow" costs including money disbursement like via Paypal. Now Paypal may charge you something to remove the money but that would be how things are set up on your end with your bank etc. For example you might need to pay a forex conversion or something via your bank, but on my personal Paypal account if I were to sell something via Afternic or GoDaddy I would net all my proceeds less the commission in full and be able to withdraw them from Paypal without any extra fees. So you should not be paying anything on this transaction beyond the initial commission.

•••
We do not charge any PayPal fees, you should net what you net after our commissions. Part of our commission we charge covers the "escrow" costs including money disbursement like via Paypal. Now Paypal may charge you something to remove the money but that would be how things are set up on your end with your bank etc. For example you might need to pay a forex conversion or something via your bank, but on my personal Paypal account if I were to sell something via Afternic or GoDaddy I would net all my proceeds less the commission in full and be able to withdraw them from Paypal without any extra fees. So you should not be paying anything on this transaction beyond the initial commission.
And now I like Afternic even more. Thanks man!

•••
•••
•••
Congrats on your sale. Nothing feels better than having a money making method working for you. Waiting for the method on how you did it

•••
Ali

Why did you take a risk and register the domain given potential trademark issues with WP?

Most domainers would've avoided registering the name.

•••
Ali

Why did you take a risk and register the domain given potential trademark issues with WP?

To me, Wordpress is about the growth of the community as a whole - so they've "allowed" the acronym "WP" (wise choice) to be used in a proper, positive, and productive manner to grow their community even further. It makes sense for them to do so being that all of the themes, plugins and otherwise are solely created to be used with the Wordpress CMS - so they let it "slide" I guess. I wouldn't go around registering "Wordpress+Keyword" by any means though - that they don't like. Again, with everything, it's about the bigger picture of the variables at hand. If this were another acronym, it could go another way. So take it with a grain of whatever you like best. ;)

•••
Ali

"WordPress" is trademarked. "WP" isn't.

This is what WordPress.org has to say about it (source : https://wordpress.org/about/domains/ ):

For various reasons related to our WordPress trademark, we ask if you’re going to start a site about WordPress or related to it that you not use “WordPress” in the domain name. Try using “wp” instead, or another variation.

Also, on the official wordpress foundation site (source: http://wordpressfoundation.org/trademark-policy/) you can find this part on using "wp" for your domain name(s):

The abbreviation “WP” is not covered by the WordPress trademarks and you are free to use it in any way you see fit.

•••
Congrats Ali for sale :) Learning lot from you.. Thank you :)

•••
•••
•••
Just sold my first domain on that platform also. It was a very smooth and quick process. Very impressed, although 20% commission is a little high IMO compared to Uniregistry/DNS...

•••
Just sold my first domain on that platform also. It was a very smooth and quick process. Very impressed, although 20% commission is a little high IMO compared to Uniregistry/DNS...

I think you're paying for the distribution. Congrats on the sale.

•••
•••
•••
Congratulations! I haven't found their interface to be the most user-friendly, but they do reach a lot of people. I've had one sale there. That's a nice way for you to finish the month! :)

•••
I sold one this week through afternic BIN, another one in may, both $100

Both were at NP for a while for $25 so I dont mind the 20%. I calculate it in my BIN price

•••
What about listing all your domains on a website you specifically created (a domain holding site)? Afternic is a good method but you can do the same thing with a website you created, placing an escrow buy it now button on the page.

Example ...visit Rutimes.com

You will get 100% of the sale, no comission fees (only escrow fee)

And you can place Google Adsense on your page and get more $ if someone clicks on an ad than you have getting pennies with Sedo and other domain cash parking services.

It just seems like a smarter idea. More work, but smarter. And you can still list it on Afternic as well as Sedo, Flippa, NameJet & Godaddy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back