IT.COM

debate .net vs .network vs .website vs .online

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
Why I should spend 5-figures on .net domain name if i can get the same .website for $0.88 ?

any reason please?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'll spend 88 cents to buy stuff for throwaway projects... I'll admit.

•••
simply because the right of the dot matters. .net is an experienced tld whereas .website is in its early stage.

•••
e.g. investing.net for $131,560 or investing.online for $12,500 ?

•••
investing.net is owned by FS. If you look at Afternic in his listing, you'll realize his asking prices (and minimum offer) are far from reality.

Now, look at MM market, and let me know what names can you buy for $131,560.

Last edited:
•••
,com and .net are hardwired into the brains of Generation X and Y but the Generation Z ( The current Lot ) are open to experimenting i guess, that said, most would be reluctant to pay a premium for new tlds i suppose..

•••
Seems like a lot goes into each individual decision, but you have to think about being upstaged by competitors swooping in to get the more recognizable domain. There are still issues of awareness and trust for gTLDs. I've watched people freak out about .us domains and wonder if it's safe to visit.

I do think the premium fees make some decisions easier. Some of the terms and prices I've come across are awful. If I have the budget, I'd spend $10-$20k more to get the best domain. If I don't or it's a smaller scale project, then then gTLD makes the most sense.

The investing example is intriguing, but if you sunk $12.5k into .network to develop a unique concept only to be supplanted when a bigger shark comes along and procures the .net for $50k, it still would hurt. That said, if your budget for the entire project is $15k, then your question is answered for you. :xf.smile:

•••
Why I should spend 5-figures on .net domain name if i can get the same .website for $0.88 ?

any reason please?

Because .net is generally a strong 2nd choice, other extensions are just parvenues :wtf:

Last edited:
•••

any reason please?
To begin with, there are very few .net names that sell for five figures. Maybe you should spend 5 figures on a .com instead. That being said, I like .net but it's because I am an old-timer. .net is an old extension that is often associated with old sites.

Honestly, .website is bland and redundant. Of course, if you are advertising a URL, people will go to a website. I'd rather use .online then.
There is always some alternative for reg fee, nobody is forced to spend 5 figures on a domain name.

•••
Honestly, .website is bland and redundant. Of course, if you are advertising a URL, people will go to a website.

mb2.gif

•••
There is .com and .co.uk. Then .net and .org. Then the rest

•••
•••
There is no difference except for .net is a lot more popular in the world. Many people do not know what .network or .website or even .online means.

For endusers purposes it all depends on the a content of the website and business. They could technically use any of those domains and become successful. They will struggle with people remembering the ngtld or people not know how to type in a ngtld. If I told some random person hey go to "free.network" I can guarantee you when they go home they will type in freenetwork.com that is the difference.

•••
If your looking to buy anything.website it needs to be a type in with traffic.

I would be going for only if list price names like
hosting.website
designing.website
dating.website.

Eg: snooker.website would fail.
eg: find.website pass

Last edited:
•••
Would you like Emblems.network , Emblems.website or just Emblems/net?
Your answer to this question should be the answer you want.

•••
For starters you can't have a short domain name with long extensions.
Elegant, short names:
data.net
cloud.net
vision.net
audio.net

Longish stuff:
data.website
cloud.online
vision.network
audio.website

But of course, if I was a startup with limited funds, I'd definitely go with something like data.website instead of datawebsite.net or thedatawebsite.com.

•••
e.g. investing.net for $131,560 or investing.online for $12,500 ?

Well, it's a tricky question considering the price difference... but, IMO, both are a little exaggerated :pompous:

I think that a rich, established business goes for the former; a startup catches the latter.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back