IT.COM

uBlock Origin turns Bodis parking pages blank

NameSilo
Watch
uBlock is a very popular adblocker, if you install it and go to one of your bodis parked pages you will get an empty page.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you use ad blockers online you're going to miss a lot! Ads have been around forever. Get used to it!

•••
I use ublock origin, 100% happy with it :) In bodis case, fortunately, if there is also forsale link - it forwards the visitor with adblock to said link. At least with my ublock config...

Last edited:
•••
If you use ad blockers online you're going to miss a lot! Ads have been around forever. Get used to it!
Stay on topic please

•••
I use ublock origin, 100% happy with it :) In bodis case, fortunately, if there is also forsale link - it forwards the visitor with adblock to said link. At least with my ublock config...

it wasn't.like this b4... did they change it? I know parking crew did this
...ie...if ads blocked u saw the sale banner on top.... is this what u mean? that.with bodis now if ads blocked u still see the banner?

•••
it wasn't.like this b4... did they change it? I know parking crew did this
...ie...if ads blocked u saw the sale banner on top.... is this what u mean? that.with bodis now if ads blocked u still see the banner?
you see a blank page nothing on it, blank white page, everything is blocked

•••
•••
Yeah, I'm forwarded to the forsale destination. No banner shown, no click needed. Again, it may or may not be specific to my ublock origin config, did not test deeply. Imo it is logical - since the parking system determined that adblock is installed, the visitor cannot be monetized, so why not forward the visitor - would be at least something. I would not park forsale domains without this feature anyway, how many visitors have adblockers? 40%-50%?

If the domain is not for sale, or no forsale link is set, or the visitor disabled javascript - then, indeed, blank page is shown. An expected outcome, as the adblock is working.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, I'm forwarded to the forsale destination. No banner shown, no click needed. Again, it may or may not be specific to my ublock origin config, did not test deeply. Imo it is logical - since the parking system determined that adblock is installed, the visitor cannot be monetized, so why not forward the visitor - would be at least something. I would not park forsale domains without this feature anyway, how many visitors have adblockers? 40%-50%?

If the domain is not for sale, or no forsale link is set, or the visitor disabled javascript - then, indeed, blank page is shown. An expected outcome, as the adblock is working.
You must've set your domain to auto redirect, a feature within bodis.

Bodis has now confirmed that this issue is real, no debate is needed if my config is your config or not. This is a serious issue, and if you see other results and use ublock, it's because you have turned on to auto forward for either a folder or a specific name.

As of a few months ago bodis removed the feature to forward all domains within a folder directly to the marketplace. Therefore, it is not even easy anymore to do that. Now it can only be done one domain at a time.

•••
I am not forwarding the domain(s). With adblock disabled, ads are shown as well as forsale banner. With adblock enabled, there is an empty page (1 second or so) and it forwards to my forsale lander then. What I think may be an issue is that adblock may also have some forwarding destinations in their blacklist, so the page would not refresh in this case. If they block dan.com for example - it would not be forwarded to DAN most likely.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
any of u guys tested this with parking crew? afaik pc shows sale banner for blockers
... @tonyk2000 so what is yer sale setting? bodis form only? or sale banner going.to.bodis form?

•••
Basically, google is working hard to kill adblocking extensions
They would, they serve most of the ads :xf.smile:

The thing is, apart from the annoyance of oh so many ads and the tracking implications, on a slow or metered connection loading all the ads takes up a lot of bandwidth and/or data usage, so an adblocker becomes a necessity for some.
I know some adblockers are now allowing "acceptable ads" - those which are positioned so as not to interfere too much with the reading of a page, or aren't too excessive. Maybe the parking companies should work with the adblockers to find a solution? After all, ads are how many websites make money.

A similar thing was happening with Sedo a few years ago.

Last edited:
•••
You mean lack or forsale banner / forwarding OR an empty page itself?
a bodis lander that is on a domain that the owner marked to have the for sale banner go to a marketplace should always have a way for the user to go to the marketplace regardless if ads are blocked or not.

If you are seeing an auto redirect to dan, that is not bodis doing it unless you set bodis to do that.

If you like
They would, they serve most of the ads :xf.smile:

The thing is, apart from the annoyance of oh so many ads and the tracking implications, on a slow or metered connection loading all the ads takes up a lot of bandwidth and/or data usage, so an adblocker becomes a necessity for some.
I know some adblockers are now allowing "acceptable ads" - those which are positioned so as not to interfere too much with the reading of a page, or aren't too excessive. Maybe the parking companies should work with the adblockers to find a solution? After all, ads are how many websites make money.

A similar thing was happening with Sedo a few years ago.
can bodis know if the page didn't render? If it didn't as someone mentioned, they should redirect to the marketplace or else they are seriously hurting peoples sales.

•••
can bodis know if the page didn't render?
It can. Various websites are doing the same when they show "please disable adblock" popups. OK, in my case I am forwarded to forsale page with active ublock origin. You are not. Why is this - only Bodis can tell, it is their code...

Last edited:
•••
It can. Various websites are doing the same when they show "please disable adblock" popups. OK, in my case I am forwarded to forsale page with active ublock origin. You are not. Why is this - only Bodis can tell, it is their code...
please share the url here or in private, would love to see

•••
so what is yer sale setting?
would love to see
Just checked again. The below forsale config is working for me. On all domains. I am forwarded to GoDaddy with ublock origin active, chrome (brave browser flavor actually), default ublock setup with a few extra language-specific blocklists enabled and various handmade block rules (if ads are still shown but annoying).

Attachments

• bodis.jpg
    bodis.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
•••
Just checked again. The below forsale config is working for me. On all domains. I am forwarded to GoDaddy with ublock origin active, chrome (brave browser flavor actually), default ublock setup with a few extra language-specific blocklists enabled and various handmade block rules (if ads are still shown but annoying).

oh wow so u just have same url for all names.. giving prolly gd broker number to call ..not even the domain name on that page right? well maybe this odd setup works... very few people use url option. cause its generic. may I ask so this means u use no ads at all on bodis? blocker or not they all go to gd generic lander??

•••
By the way, as far as I remember, Uniregistry parking does exactly the same (forwarding adblock visitors to their forsale landers). I'm not using uni anymore. But it is working this way, or, at least, was working before. So it should be configurable by the parking company...

•••
take a screenshot of the lower part of that page please.

According to bodis what you are saying would not be possible unless you set it to automatically redirect and that setting is on the lower part of the screenshot.

Also what happens if you visit the domain from a browser with no adblock? :unsure:

•••
take a screenshot of the lower part of that page please.
Just "save" button. Nothing more. And the custom forsale text I typed both in desktop and mobile sections.
The original screenshot is of individual domain setup.

Also what happens if you visit the domain from a browser with no adblock?
Normal parking. With top forsale link.

Last edited:
•••
I also have Tier2 ads enabled globally (even though it pays big zero for faillisted domains now). Tier2 must be using similar technology, as it is a redirect to begin with... So, it may well be that with Tier2 ads disabled the system would never redirect to any location. @AEProgram did you disable Tier2? If so, maybe try to enable it...

Last edited:
•••
oh wow so u just have same url for all names.. giving prolly gd broker number to call ..not even the domain name on that page right? well maybe this odd setup works... very few people use url option. cause its generic. may I ask so this means u use no ads at all on bodis? blocker or not they all go to gd generic lander??
I edited out the domain name on the screenshot. It is where afternic ns5/ns6 forwards visitors to:
https:/ /www.godaddy.com/ forsale / domainname .com
Original setup was in bulk if I am not mistaken, with a placeholder instead of exact domain.
Each domain has its own forsale url shown :)

Last edited:
•••
I also have Tier2 ads enabled globally (even though it pays big zero for faillisted domains now). Tier2 must be using similar technology, as it is a redirect to begin with... So, it may well be that with Tier2 ads disabled the system would never redirect to any location. @AEProgram did you disable Tier2? If so, maybe try to enable it...
no I did not disable it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back