Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xman

Domain Hack KingVIP Member
Impact
Here's my question..what is the value of domain hack? I've seen some good domain hack and i was wondering about the value of it. I myself own one and i'm not sure whether or not i should get more. I haven't seen any sale of domain hack. Why do we register domain hack? Is it because the domain looks cool or because there's a potential end user who's willing to buy such domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Congratulations on that sale. (y)

The sales do come, just have to be patient like ALL domainers. Waiting for the $xx,xxx on our prized one. Waited 11 years and will wait another 11 if need be. LOL

You are right. That's what the dotcom boys did. Hopefully what we and Alex are working on will increase the value of domain hacks and you won't have to wait another decade.

•••
Low 5 figures.

Well done!

We are looking for potential partners/brokers for our prime Geo domain hacks portfolio that include ultra premiums like:

China
Japn
Vegas
Bahamas
Texas
Dallas
Lima
Madrid

and many more...

Let me know if you are interested in brokering.

•••
Today, we're celebrating 300 domain hacks being tracked at Nami.ng, used by startups, companies, and creative individuals across any imaginable industry and part of the world!

•••
This week's update is now up and live on Nami.ng. Added 16 new domain hacks across various use cases!

Includes @.tv and Veg.as!

Thanks for the support everyone.

Al

•••
•••
@Alexej K I looked at Nami.ng and would like to suggest a few more additions to it if you find them suitable. A few are big companies, others are small. I just happened to come across some interesting hacks while hunting for my own and certain others while looking at Wikipedia pages for CCTLDs.

mi.ne allmine.com Home Design Services
wapo.st washingtonpost.com
profa.ne profanemmo.com The game created by Insa.ne
bre.ad Yahoo
abc.xyz Used by Google for Alphabet
freig.ht freightos.com
red.green.blue bombfactory.com
slipstre.am Used by ansdor.com to promote a game called slipstream.
mechani.sm is used by mechanism.com which seems to be a startup so not sure.
microco.sm Microcosm is a modern forum platform
starfi.sh A web design company based in Philippines
thi.ng Open source building blocks for computational design. Est.2006

I remember way back I happened to register Hi.ht for no apparent reason. At that time freig.ht was available and I contemplated getting it, but sadly never did! And I was surprised to see bre.ad used by Yahoo! I love the hack red.green.blue as if you go to green.blue nothing opens, and only going to the subdomain red opens the page. I thought that was a nice touch! And I read a news article about Google acquiring abc.xyz to complete their alphabet.

Just like @DomainHacks.com mentioned about Ma.tt, I would love using a domain hack for a personal website. I wish my real name was hack-able, but at least I got the .com for my firstname. However, I'd probably attempt to get the two-letter CCTLD domain for my nickname! :xf.smile:

In a way, hacks are unique because while you can have xyz for whatever many extensions, you can only have one x.yz which makes logical sense. Leave aside cases like will.i.am and willi.am or where multiple extensions lead to the same word/phrase like physici.st and physic.ist :xf.grin:! Also, the popularity of hacks can be seen from the way a lot of pricing is driven by the organizations listing certain CCTLDs and almost all GenericTLDs in the primary market itself.

Cheers,
DomainGaze.com

•••
Who uses domain hacks? (A mini-series)
Episode 3
Architects!
Enrapt
: Architecture Posed Thoughtfully
An architecture studio based in Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire.
Domain: Enra.pt
A beautiful name, isn't it?
Watch out for the next one! :xf.cool:

enrapt.png

Last edited:
•••
Who uses domain hacks? (A mini-series)
Episode 4
Unintentional hacks!
Inept
: Instituto Nacional de Estatística
National statistical institute of Portugal.
Domain: Ine.pt
They may be competent but, for some of us, they will always be inept!🤦‍♂️😅
More in season 2.
Inept.png

•••
Guess the hack...

They're a German water filter company, who are selling filters in India, but in their (unintended) hack they refer to a place-name in Europe. Hmm!...

Haha! Got it. Nice find on accidental hacks. :xf.grin:
I feel domain hacks are hidden jewels in the address space of the Internet. Except that they're hiding in plain sight. They are truly unique. As you can have xyz.anything, but only one x.yz. (Except occasionally when you have multiple hacks possible). No extra bits anywhere!

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
s.sh (short for ssh) was reportedly bought for $91,000 at Divido auctions according to one of the bidders.

•••
•••
Quick plug for a good article on domain hacks --
http://doma.in/?p=3

Common words that look ok when hacked can definitely have premium value. Blo.gs for example. Anything less is not worth much. (FreeBlo.gs, etc)

•••
They sure do. GoDaddy is notorious at this kind of #$%# but many are doing it. This way I lost big.ch but learned my lesson.

@Ioana
Before a market can exist it must be non-existent, right? :) htmlindex has some nice words and these will sell sooner or later and on way more than 2x regfee. it only depends how many renewals are you paying. Bafta!

In that case, the best choice is playing lotto, it is cheaper and funnier :p
The market isn't made by domains, but by buyers. So you can't expect creating a domain market by regging domains. Anyway, this is my point of view.
Thanks

•••
Strange that the domain hack detractors haven't commented on the sale of the BrightNames portfolio of domain hacks to the Canadian media company A-M.com (Adage-Media) either on here or on the other forum (where that post has been viewed nearly 200 times alone). I guess there is not a lot they can ridicule when the facts are there staring them in the face. ;)
Comment on what exactly ? But speaking of facts, give me some hard facts. There are no figures quoted, no details, no nothing, just a PR stunt. That's what it is.
But I have seen crazy things in this industry, like 5- or 6-figure amounts 'invested' in .xxx or .tel domains, the 24hournames fiasco, numerous examples of domain mania, no to mention the bogus sales etc. There is a lot of BS in this industry, and it's full of shattered dreams too.
I personally don't think a sane person would buy a portfolio of domain hacks. One domain maybe, if you're the end user.
So this doesn't pass the smell test imo.

•••
@Gobinath

These are nice hacks
veg.as
spa.in
par.is
ita.ly

•••
•••
•••
•••
Can anyone beat these domain hacks
Tollfr.ee
Rap.id.ly
Mete.rs
Rada.rs
Semiconducto.rs
Freshe.rs
Lightin.gs
Fitting.gs

•••
@kriss05 - that is a stellar name, I would think a high end designer purse company would love it. Certainly end user would bring more profit than domaining auction, good luck : smile :

I had many mid $xxxx offers for it, so I'm happy the reserve hasn't met :rolleyes:

•••
•••
Just got this email from Sedo:

Good day xxxxxxx.

My name is xxxxxxx from Sedo.com and I am contacting you regarding the “xxxxxxx” domain you currently have listed on our portal s for sale.

Sedo is organising a “DomainHack” auction for which your domain would qualify.

What is a Domain hack?: A domain hack is a domain name that suggests a word, phrase, or name when concatenating two adjacent levels of that domain

Example: c.at or ma.de

If you would like your domain listed in this auction (April 26th to May 3rd) and take advantage of the exposure it will get with this first of a kind event, please let me know.

Please also keep in mind all domains will be checked and approved before the auction based on the domain name and its reserve price provided to us.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

xxxxxxx

Anyone else?

And, does anyone have previous experience with this sort of thing?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back