IT.COM

Afternic Closed Their Marketplace

NameSilo
Watch
When you go to Afternic.com there's no option to search for domains. There is a link to GoDaddy where you can search but it doesn't show every name that's available on Afternic.

Interesting.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When you go to Afternic.com there's no option to search for domains. There is a link to GoDaddy where you can search but it doesn't show every name that's available on Afternic.

Interesting.
Very odd.

•••
I've noticed the process for a few days.

Even a couple of days ago, you could still go to Afternic search by typing search at the end of the URL directly, i.e. https://www.afternic.com/search

But now they redirect that to GoDaddy too!

Many people thought they were going to close down DAN, but looks like they've effectively shut down Afternic instead!

And in GoDaddy search, some names with BIN set to either Afternic or DAN shows up, but some names don't show the BIN directly, only that the domain is taken (with broker service fee)!

I guess they are still in the process, so I sincerely hope they'll fix this soon. Or will they? :unsure:

Last edited:
•••
search is a premium feature built into Domain Academy.

•••
•••
My understanding from Afternic support was that there was still a tech team remaining in Cambridge, MA. However, it was not apparent to me from the Massachusetts state Corporation database that they are here.

•••
Someone from Afternic/Godaddy need to come here and explain what's going on.

•••
search is a premium feature built into Domain Academy.
So...now endusers must join Domain Academy so they can look for a domain they're interested in? Not sure how that is a wise move on GD's part.

•••
So...now endusers must join Domain Academy so they can look for a domain they're interested in? Not sure how that is a wise move on GD's part.
most endusers know GD not afternic, most of those afternic sales are via GD or partners

•••
Many people thought they were going to close down DAN, but looks like they've effectively shut down Afternic instead!

Funny. That is exactly what I thought would happen. Crazy how things turned out.

•••
While you guys are busy looking at the small issue, the big issue is that when you do go to the Godaddy search page, you will enter the domain and probably click on the giant AI search button and not on the small search button. I guess when sales drop by 90% someone will look into it, maybe in 2035. For now, investors want to know you added AI everywhere and that's what matters.

•••
Hi everyone,
We appreciate the feedback on Afternic search. As Afternic mentioned on X, we're transitioning search from Afternic.com to GoDaddy. The strong buyer connection to GoDaddy, along with the multi-currency, global checkout process, and the trusted brand name mean that we chose to direct Afternic searches to GoDaddy.

This move allows Afternic to remain focused on giving sellers the best tools and resources to sell their domain names through Afternic's vast distribution network (85 million searches/month across 100+ partners and resellers for the Premium Network), and the range of optimized landers, all backed by an expert team of brokers. This consistent work will continue to help sellers at Afternic to produce a high sales velocity through the entire network.

For anyone separately looking to take a deeper dive into Afternic's inventory, Domain Academy's toolkit contains an advanced search tool to connect you with inventory.

Again, we thank you all for your feedback on Afternic.com's search directing to GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
In my opinion this is a BAD move. End users do not know about Domain Academy and a lot of Sellers will change their landing page and DNS to something else.
Instead of spending the time to do this nonsense GD should just improve Afternic navigation.
GD income will be decreased due to this move. GD just deleted Afternic from the market.

•••
This is all preplanned. An aftermarket dedicated search box will come back, but their commission will then be 25% (minimum).

•••
I have noticed a drop in my sales from Afternic. Don't know the reason.

•••
fg.PNG

•••
For anyone separately looking to take a deeper dive into Afternic's inventory, Domain Academy's toolkit contains an advanced search tool to connect you with inventory.
Where? When I click that link and log in I am taken to here:
https://godaddy.com/s/domain-academy
I did a search for "Toolkit" and nothing on the page. Looks like youtube videos, a blog and a SEO tutorial. Where's the toolkit button? :)

•••
Where? When I click that link and log in I am taken to here:
https://godaddy.com/s/domain-academy
I did a search for "Toolkit" and nothing on the page. Looks like youtube videos, a blog and a SEO tutorial. Where's the toolkit button? :)
And I get this error when I try to sign-in:

Single Sign-On Error
We can't log you in because of an issue with single sign-on.
Contact your Salesforce admin for help.

•••
Marketplace without a search function and other filters. This is very bad.

•••
And I get this error when I try to sign-in:

Single Sign-On Error
We can't log you in because of an issue with single sign-on.
Contact your Salesforce admin for help.

Same here.

sso-error.PNG

•••

Interesting.
Also noticed if you list on Dan.com and change nameservers, your domain is also discoverable on GD, and afternic.

•••
Marketplace without a search function and other filters. This is very bad.
Correct. Afternic is no longer a marketplace. It is now simply GoDaddy's listing service. Trust them when they say this is intentional.

•••
What an arrogant, pompous answer! "Hey guys, PAY US to do a search that should be free!!" I wish I could say a real big, hearty "F You" to GoDaddy and get away with it on here, but since I probably can't I will let them keep their side of the street and I'll keep mine.

I just wish GD would stop buying good companies and destroying innovation and OUR opportunities as domain investors who want better options than the geniuses at GD can possibly ever muster, left to their own devices.

GD, to me, died when Bob Parsons was shown the door.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe , I should redirect all Nameservers to Dan , Squadhelp or Sedo.

•••
Where? When I click that link and log in I am taken to ..... and nothing on the page.
thats because it's not free!!

PAY THE MAN!! More, more, more!!

GoASSHJOLES.png
lol... PA,,,is... is ...is it?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back