IT.COM

opinion 5L.com are heating up

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nick

Top Member
Impact
Today I had over 100 5-shengmu .COMs (5L with no consonants or v) on my dropcatch list. I was only able to catch 12. I noticed dropcatch.com was among the ones getting those I missed. I didn't have just any random string, though. I had ones that contained "cn", "hk", "sh", "cc" or ending in "c".

Being that there are 3.2 million combinations of 5 shengmu .COMs - what do you think?

I just asked a friend the same question. His 1-word response was perfect: DEMAND.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If there are 3.2m of them I just can't see them ever being worth much. Sure someone's speculating but think about it as a proportion of the entire population of planet earth. That's a relatively large portion of the populace who has to want to own a lllll.com to make them worth anything.

Not only that but you'd be in competition with all the non lllll.com's people might want to own.

•••
...think about it as a proportion of the entire population of planet earth.

Funny you mention that...I was actually thinking about the population in China, as it's something like 1.5 billion. So, if my math is correct, there are enough of these to fulfill .002% of the Chinese population.

•••
Your talking about 0.02% people in China who might want to own a website first and foremost. Then they have to want a lllll.com as opposed to any other .com.

There is clearly not enough end users for these.

•••
So you missed the LLLL.com boat and the logical step is LLLLL.com 5L domains? Come on people, get real.... get a jump on the curve and go for 6L.com that's LLLLLL.COMs with no v or vowels because those are premiums right?! :shaking head: Stop being a follower and lead... there's only 64 million or so possible 'shamu' (it was shamu you said right) premiums. It's a tiny possible compared to the world's population or just China. LLLLLL.com or bust!

•••
So you missed the LLLL.com boat and the logical step is LLLLL.com 5L domains? Come on people, get real.... get a jump on the curve and go for 6L.com that's LLLLLL.COMs with no v or vowels because those are premiums right?! :shaking head: Stop being a follower and lead... there's only 64 million or so possible 'shamu' (it was shamu you said right) premiums. It's a tiny possible compared to the world's population or just China. LLLLLL.com or bust!
You sound angry about something...I asked for opinions, not insults.

•••

This kind of logic commonly drives markets to the point of collapse.

•••
You sound angry about something...I asked for opinions, not insults.

You have my opinion. Sorry it wasn't phrased in a more pacifying manner.

•••
Easy fella's Nick V makes a valid point if he's going to get in an out quickly. The margins will be small and the time frame limited imo.

I emphasize again just my opinion....

•••
I always thought however that if .com's became so rare, to the point where people were registering lllll.com acronyms, they'd choose a new extension instead.

•••
I always thought however that if .com's became so rare, to the point where people were registering lllll.com acronyms, they'd choose a new extension instead.
I agree, which is why I personally invested in gTLDs. However, I'm noticing that gTLDs aren't as heavily promoted in the east, like they are in the west.

•••
I agree, which is why I personally invested in gTLDs. However, I'm noticing that gTLDs aren't as heavily promoted in the east, like they are in the west.

Interesting but domain investors won't drive the market in it's maturity stage, which is where the big bucks will spent. Figure out what end users over there want and if you know better than the rest of us, (which you may do) you'll do very well.

•••

Well, I think, as long as there are people who believe .com was/is/will FOREVER be the one and only "king" of all extensions and as long as there are people willing to pay 4-5-6 figures even on long 2-3 word keyword .com names, there's still a possibility of people sending the value of a few pinyin (or whatever they call) 5L.coms up!!

•••
Well, I think, as long as there are people who believe .com was/is/will FOREVER be the one and only "king" of all extensions and as long as there are people willing to pay 4-5-6 figures even on long 2-3 word keyword .com names, there's still a possibility of people sending the value of a few pinyin (or whatever they call) 5L.coms up!!

There is a chance that these .com forever people will drive values up in the short to medium term. Moving the dot is a much easier, more brandable and professional thing to do imo, so the long term is a more level playing field.

•••
Glad I had a couple LLLLL.com names. Just got an offer yesterday $220 for vatts.com

•••
seems like a fair offer id you accept? sorry for going off topic

•••
seems like a fair offer id you accept? sorry for going off topic
Yes, I accepted. That was more money then I had been selling LLLL.com's for.

•••
Could someone provide any company which using 4L acronyn in their names? I'm talking about largest 1000 companies in the world. 5L acronym is out of my mind, same with 4L domains. Demand created by noob Chinese domainers followed by others.

More than half of LLL.com domains is still undeveloped and owned by domain resellers, why? Because of low demand by end users, not because of their high price, as any middle level company can afford $20k domain name (Minimum wholesale price for LLL.com)

•••
Could someone provide any company which using 4L acronyn in their names? I'm talking about largest 1000 companies in the world

Not relevant. End users for llll.com's are not the 1000 top companies in the world. Though subsidiaries of these companies do use llll.com's.

•••
Could someone provide any company which using 4L acronyn in their names? I'm talking about largest 1000 companies in the world.
Bing, eBay, IMDB, ESPN, XNXX, Yelp, Etsy, Ikea, Vice, USPS...

•••
Bing, eBay, IMDB, ESPN, XNXX, Yelp, Etsy, Ikea, Vice, USPS...

Most of these are not really acronyms and those that are worked hard on their brands. As standalone names they wouldn't really have been worth much.

•••
As standalone names they wouldn't really have been worth much.

I mean the acronyms. Obviously bing, ebay, vice etc would still have gone for decent cash

•••
Stop being a follower and lead... there's only 64 million or so possible 'shamu' (it was shamu you said right) premiums.

If you're going to insult somebody, then why not take the time to scroll up and get the facts right? It's 'shengmu' not 'shamu' in case you have yet to scroll up. If this ignorance was an intentional attempt to ease the baby shaking post, then forgive me for not seeing your dry sense of humor.

Since I'm not seasoned in chinese domains, I found this post very insightful.

•••
If you're going to insult somebody, then why not take the time to scroll up and get the facts right? It's 'shengmu' not 'shamu' in case you have yet to scroll up. If this ignorance was an intentional attempt to ease the baby shaking post, then forgive me for not seeing your dry sense of humor.

Since I'm not seasoned in chinese domains, I found this post very insightful.
It's all good. I was insulted only until I saw it was coming from someone who registered "VR777/777VR". :rolleyes: (So, NNNLL is ok but not LLLLL- right.)

•••
I'm not into any 5L domains that are purely registered based on letter random combinations.

By the time a domain is up to 5 characters I would expect a domain to be extremely pronounceable, or match a Pinyin or English word. Pattern domaining into 5L is just so far into the future, due to the possible permutations that 5 characters can bring - and I'm talking your grandchildren kind of future.

4L's have been all registered for quite some time now... imagine how long it will take for a true 5L unavailabilty based on letter combinations.

I see a lot of new domainers that haven't done the research buying in the 5L namespace, which is what I think accounts for the domains disappearing and renewed interest. The same with the 4L.nets... unless an end user owns the .COM and wants to secure the namespace, they are all domainer driven junk.

It's lazy domaining based on a prayer, and at this point with domains you can't be lazy if you are just getting started. The good news is that anyone reading this right now in 9/28/2015, you will likely be ahead of all other domainers who start after that - so buy smarter than random 4L+ letter combinations.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back