IT.COM

Afternic Closed Their Marketplace

NameSilo
Watch
When you go to Afternic.com there's no option to search for domains. There is a link to GoDaddy where you can search but it doesn't show every name that's available on Afternic.

Interesting.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I thought that would confuse you. That's why I changed it

"Follow "as in "understand"
How long does it take to update nameservers, leave? Doesn't take months/years. How about update your sig and stop advertising Dan, that takes a few seconds, can be done right now.

"Anyway, this has been fun (not) If you want a cease fire we van delete all the crap. I'm willing"

I was done earlier.

Last edited:
•••
How long does it take to update nameservers,
That was the easy part. Then SH churns away slowly. I'll add another batch when these are done.
You said "I love Dan" but then want to leave
I do love Dan. I just hate GD and don't trust them. I don't WANT to leave Dan. I didn't want to leave Epik either. That took quite a long time, despite the motivation. Did it in batches. Same concept now. I'm not even sure if I'll like SH yet.

Sorry if it bothers you that I use Dan but hate GD. I'm pretty sure you were using Epik while simultaneously disliking them and moving away? Sorry if my memory fails... I left THAT thread months ago!! Anyway, for me, it's like that all over again. PEACE!!

Last edited:
•••
That was the easy part. Then SH churns away slowly.

I do love Dan. I just hate GD and don't trust them. I don't WANT to leave Dan. I didn't want to leave Epik either.
If you love them and it's working for you, there is no need to leave. Just have a backup plan it case something goes bad. I roll with things as long as they're good, if they go bad, then simply adapt with a backup plan.

Whatever works for everybody, to each his own.
That was the easy part. Then SH churns away slowly. I'll add another batch when these are done.

I do love Dan. I just hate GD and don't trust them. I don't WANT to leave Dan. I didn't want to leave Epik either. That took quite a long time, despite the motivation. Did it in batches. Same concept now. I'm not even sure if I'll like SH yet.

Sorry if it bothers you that I use Dan but hate GD. I'm pretty sure you were using Epik while simultaneously disliking them and moving away? Sorry if my memory fails... I left THAT thread months ago!! Anyway, for me, it's like that all over again. PEACE!!
Haha no, I’m sure I would easily make a top 5 list of people who hated/spoke out against them. I always knew he was full of it. Rob was still mentioning my name on the other forum 2 years after I had any interaction with him. He was still mad I made a legit poll (in which Epik lost) after the employee stuffed and spam poll he won

Last edited:
•••
GoPiggy doesn't buy companies to help them thrive or even just to peacefully coexist.
Are you implying that Porkbun will be the next company for GD to take over (and destroy)?... :ROFL:

In regards to the rest of the thread, I reckon we’ll see the birth of a new marketplace this year. People could sort of get around GD ruining Uni and DAN, but now that they’ve chosen to stuff up Afternic as well, the scene is set for the entry of a new player. I would be more than happy if Reza comes back with a new entry to the market – pretty much how DAN was before GD got involved. I’m sure he’d be flooded with demand.

•••
Dynadot and Namesilo like this . If something has been working for years, why change it?

•••
Are you implying that Porkbun will be the next company for GD to take over (and destroy)?
I sure hope not!! Those are the nice piggies!

•••

Last edited:
•••
Urg, I literally started making sure that all of my domains were on afternic and went through the painstaking process of adding their verification code, which meant that I had to change ALL my domains to my registras nameserver (from bodis) then add the bodis code as the CNAME just so then I could add the afternic verification code. This announcement came 1DAY after I did all that (and I didnt see the tweet until now. I ALSO sold my 'domain' website and basically direct everyone to afternic (see my signature). UUURRRGGGG. I guess I have to sort everything out on Dan now?

Afternic didn't close - just their search went. Which they claim isn't how people bought names through them anyway. You can keep everything as is I'd say. This isn't going away https://www.afternic.com/domain/luxsoy.com

Of course, that page is unlikely to get many sales anyway unless you do outbound marketing. You're likely getting your sales by the network(s) (when people type in the name)...

•••
Afternic didn't close - just their search went. Which they claim isn't how people bought names through them anyway. You can keep everything as is I'd say. This isn't going away https://www.afternic.com/domain/luxsoy.com

Of course, that page is unlikely to get many sales anyway unless you do outbound marketing. You're likely getting your sales by the network(s) (when people type in the name)...
I just deleted my comment (before you replied) as I realised that yes, their search just went (and it wasnt a very good search facility anyway).

Last edited:
•••
I just deleted my comment (before you replied) as I realised that yes, their search just went (and it wasnt a very good search facility anyway).

At least it was something compared to Godaddy's search that is just a hand reg suggestion engine.

Last edited:
•••
At least it was something compared to Godaddy's search that is just a hand reg suggestion engine.

True, but GD claims only 1% of domains sold via that search. Who can say. I seriously doubt end users used Afternic's search engine to find domains. Worse is the fact that GDs search is now a hand reg engine (and doesn't show good alternates). But losing Afternic search is not the issue (imo)

•••
True, but GD claims only 1% of domains sold via that search. Who can say. I seriously doubt end users used Afternic's search engine to find domains. Worse is the fact that GDs search is now a hand reg engine (and doesn't show good alternates). But losing Afternic search is not the issue (imo)

Well, on the other hand, would it have been worthwhile to have tried improving the Afternic search first. Perhaps that was a missed opportunity, to provide searches only featuring the domain seller listings.

Now, the domain seller's search at GoDaddy bring up even sponsored (advertised) listings. Was that something you wanted or expected when you listed at Afternic?

•••
Well, on the other hand, would it have been worthwhile to have tried improving the Afternic search first. Perhaps that was a missed opportunity, to provide searches only featuring the domain seller listings.

Now, the domain seller's search at GoDaddy bring up even sponsored (advertised) listings. Was that something you wanted or expected when you listed at Afternic?

I only expected the listing at Afternic would get my premium price shown when typed into all the registrars directly. Anything beyond that was gravy (in my mind).

•••
Saw it on twitter .

1709736813390.png

•••
•••
Saw it on twitter .
Thanks for the info.

This explains why nothing was being done to fix the Dan issues we were all posting about for so long.

It's time for some talent to come up with a new platform. Of course they will sell out after a couple of years of modest income for a big number, but we (domainers) might have a robust site JUST FOR SELLING for a while.

Excessive corporate greed pisses me off.

•••
There's a grain of truth in every joke.

•••
Thanks for the info.

This explains why nothing was being done to fix the Dan issues we were all posting about for so long.

It's time for some talent to come up with a new platform. Of course they will sell out after a couple of years of modest income for a big number, but we (domainers) might have a robust site JUST FOR SELLING for a while.

Excessive corporate greed pisses me off.
I would have done it myself the day after the DAN sale was announced but sadly my coding skills are not up to par. With DAN stagnating and Afternic being removed from the marketplace, it seems like there is definitely room for another marketplace.

•••
I would have done it myself the day after the DAN sale was announced but sadly my coding skills are not up to par. With DAN stagnating and Afternic being removed from the marketplace, it seems like there is definitely room for another marketplace.
Agreed. And the one plus of GoDaddy maintaining relatively high commissions is that it actually encourages new competition. Low commissions would reduce incentive to enter the market.

•••
When you go to Afternic.com there's no option to search for domains. There is a link to GoDaddy where you can search but it doesn't show every name that's available on Afternic.
And were is the leasing ?. I enabled leasing option for all domains on Afternic, but it doesn't show on Godaddy and Afternic is gone.
How can someone lease my domains now ?
do you happen to know please ?

•••
And were is the leasing ?. I enabled leasing option for all domains on Afternic, but it doesn't show on Godaddy and Afternic is gone.

If you review your Afternic listings (https://www.afternic.com/portfolio/selling), there is a column for Lease To Own. If this is set to On for a name, you should see a Lease To Own button next to the Buy It Now button when you search for your name at GoDaddy. That's what I see any way. Your experience may vary.

•••
•••
I like SquadHelp so far but they are very very very slow to get names set up/evaluated etc. A big learning curve compared to Dan.

•••
I like SquadHelp so far but they are very very very slow to get names set up/evaluated etc. A big learning curve compared to Dan.

I find they (SH) are approving names in 5-6 days. Another 24-48 hours to get a logo. You feel this is very very very slow?

•••
You feel this is very very very slow?
compared to just setting up names at DAN. I'm moving names over a couple dozen at a time until they catch up then I add more. It's taking quite some time, yes

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back