NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
hello

I am new to BrandBucket. Before getting my hands on this

I wish to experience about brandbucket from my fellow members

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another sale: T * R * A * N * S * V * I * O

•••
•••
I got my second e-mail in three days from Khalan this afternoon.

•••
This link shows that many names classified as "Invented" by BB are simultaneously based to some degree off of a keyword:

https://www.brandbucket.com/invented-business-names

On another note, I had my 10th sale at BB today. It was a little over 10 months from 1st sale to 10th, and my all-time annualized rate is now 6.3%.

GLTA

•••
Sold MadNinja.com and Jetse.com this month at BrandBucket. Both domains caught with Pheenix for under $20. 16 sales with BB in total of which 3 of them this year. 109 listings remaining.

•••
Two days back I paid the listing fee for listing Prrofit.com on BB for $2395. It's not yet live.

Today I realized a similar mis-spelling domain Smiile.com sold for $18,000 on Sedo.

Should I cancel the listing on BrandBucket.com before it goes live, hoping for a higher price? Should I contact them to increase the valuation for the domain?

Every word in the English (and any other) dictionary can be misspelled by adding one additional letter.

Just because one misspelled word was able to fetch 18k - does not mean all misspelled words can get that amount. In fact most misspells will probably not sell. Only the few the manage to catch an end user's eyes will.

Several factors come into play, including the visual appeal and pronunciation of the misspell... So know that all misspells are not created equal.

Is Prrofit better than Profitt? Which one would a client choose if they were listed side by side for the same price? How about Proffit?

I think the 18k for Smiile was a GREAT sale, but don't expect to see that repeated too often.

Everyone is going to feel that their misspelled word is the most appealing, but in reality it is a trend that will probably only go so far.

If you truly believe you have a golden nugget there then I would suggest you ask BB to remove it from your profile (which since you did click publish I believe you will need to give 30 days) because I do not think BB would ever consider giving your domain 10x the price than they already have. If they did then they would have hundreds of other misspells in line asking for the same thing. And then their odds of selling any of them would be much lower.

These are novelty names and unless you find the right person with 20k in their pocket to burn - I think we should feel lucky if we are able to get low $X,XXX for these. (There are of course exceptions to every rule)

In full disclosure - I grabbed a couple of misspells recently myself. I would be more than satisfied if any of them get the 2k pricemark that BB puts on them.

Last edited:
•••
May 31, 2019: I realized I had 4 credits leftover in my BB account and decided to give them a shot.

F y W u - rejected

U R G x - rejected

I n v e s t M u t u a l - rejected

U n d e r X - accepted

June 19th, 2019: acceptance email received recommending $6,995 - $8,395 price

July 28th, 2019: notification email that domain listing is live.

August 5th, 2019: listed on this week's emailed newsletter.

September 18th, 2019: received email that the domain had sold / preliminary transfer instructions.

Granted, as in any domain sale, until the funds are received, and the domain is transfered, this is not yet a completed sale. But should this complete, I must say [on single listings test scale] I am impressed with BB's sales power.

Last edited:
•••
Hi All,

Will there be a continuous need for "brandable" domains?

I have thought long and hard about this topic and searched for non-bias data to support my response. I believe the answer to be "yes" based on data and trending statistics I recently consolidated.

As some of you know, I am a Data Analyst by trade, so this morning I built a spreadsheet of historical Trademark applications from the US Patent & Trade Office over the past 100+ years. (Raw Data Source: uspto.gov)

An interesting trend...

Decade Filed Registered
1880's 36 36
1890's 324 305
1900's 2,410 2,264
1910's 2,479 2,338
1920's 10,759 10,468
1930's 9,832 9,945
1940's 28,095 19,036
1950's 44,616 48,238
1960's 124,310 112,984
1970's 212,876 235,925
1980's 592,291 441,828
1990's 1,582,308 720,510
2000's 2,612,607 1,422,580

* Less than 50 years ago ~10,000 applications/year were submitted (filed) with the USPTO. Today over 320,000 applications/year are submitted (filed) with the USPTO.

What drove the spike?

The invention of a 2 new technologies (radio and television) provided an opportunity for companies to promote their products nationally. While promoting their products, companies wanted "their" beer not just "any beer" to be purchased and the USPTO went on a hiring binge of attorneys to accommodate the surge in Trademark applications as modern day differentiation of products (branding) exploded.

The recent spike in the last 2 decades (199X & 200X) was due to another new technology... the internet.

By the way, in the 1st 5 years of 201X, there have already been over 1.8M trademark applications.

How does this relate to BrandBucket?

Economics.

With the supply of .com's available for handreg quickly diminishing and the demand for Trademarks increasing at a fast pace, I believe the pricing of .com's in our inventory will rise (a good investment) and the need for a marketplace to acquire .com's will continue to grow (a sales channel).

I don't personally know the founders of these marketplaces, but I believe Margot (BrandBucket), Michael (Brandroot), and Zane (Namerific) have made a good decision to build marketplaces for pre-screened .com's to assist business owners with acquiring the asset they need to build a brand; a .com being one of those assets.

I also believe, based on the above chart, that .com's are a reasonable investment as the supply is regulated (only 456,976 4L char .com's will ever exist) much like only ~500,000 1955 double die pennies will ever exist as the supply was regulated (accidentally) by the US Mint.

I hope you find the above chart and post interesting...

-Jim

Last edited:
•••
Hello Everyone,

I'd just like to give a quick update on the BrandBucket approval process.

Through some innovations and adjustments, BB has successfully addressed some bottlenecks within the brand approval and pricing process. As a result, we saw wait times greatly improved. However, a larger workload has now fallen to the logo designers and we are seeing BB working to address this current bottleneck.

Michael was recently hired on as Managing Director and we are all pretty excited to have a fellow domain investor representing us within the company.

As far as the smaller domain seller is concerned, my understanding is that BB's ultimate goal is to get all domain sellers trained at finding high quality and brandable domain names. Not only would this save domain sellers time and money, it would also ease the strain on BrandBucket's approval process.

Overall, BrandBucket is working to improve the brand submission process and is also hoping to get the smaller domain investor trained so that they can become larger domain investors. :)

I'd be happy to field any questions.

•••
I had another small sale today. Coltos dot com sold. It was a hand reg and listed since August 2014. It is my 11th sale with BB and I now have 96 remaining domains listed with them.

•••
Here's a positive story for you.

Once upon a time (well, two months ago), my domain Fundeer///.com has been accepted on BB. Few days later, I get this email from Michael:

Hello,

In getting your name ready for publishing, I realized that it is undervalued. I have increased the price to $XXXX.

Regards,
Michael

Today, the domain has sold and it's my first one sold on BB with a portfolio size of only 15 domain names.

My advice to you is: listen when Michael speaks, he knows his business very well!

All the best to you guys.

•••
A long awaited second BB sale (first was a small one in January) is completed: L o v a g o (d o t ) y o u k n o w

Hopefully the next one takes place sooner than next year's end :)

•••
Had a sale today A/P/P/O/R/B/I/T

•••
I can also report a sale. C E D O R O cleared Escrow a few days ago.

•••
I also had another sale recently: d/o/c/u/f/r/e/s/h.

•••
First sale of the year closed last week
r/e/l/a/y/o
This was my 5th BB sale since joining
Currently 11 names listed 2 coming soon and 1 pending approval

•••
Thanks @margotb , @michaeljkrell and the whole BB team! (including the sellers and logo designers!)

Its an honor to receive this Brand Bucket Ambassador invitation. I love the domain industry and especially the brandables! I remember when I submitted my first batch of 10 names and only 1 was accepted and still I was soooo happy! Slowly I got my submission rate to over 90%, it took over a year, but I slowly I learned what worked for me and for BB.

At the same time I slowly gained knowledge about 4L's and submitted over 300 pronounceable 4L's and have about 120 live now. I share this story to hopefully give inspiration and maybe motivation new or upcoming BB sellers! Please check my signature to see my BB portfolios!

If anyone has questions about BB or brandables in general, Please don't hesitate to contact me via email or PM!

[email protected]

Thanks again everyone!
Jeffrey

•••
Following a lull that came after 5 nice sales at open of year I've notched another sale in last few days:

* S * T * A * C * K * G * R * I * D * . * C * O * M *

•••
Yippee, my first ever BB published domain is live :)

•••
You just summed it up! I am LOVING my experience with BB!

I can understand that if someone isn't happy, they would leave, I would leave too if I wasn't happy.

What I don't understand is why they would then spend all of their time for years after continually posting negative things in this thread. I just feel sorry for them.

I don't usually post, but I do read this thread often.

And this is called 'Brandbucket experience', not 'Brandbucket GOOD experience'.

If someone was disappointed with his/her BB experience, it's absolutely fair for them to post about it, and to question things if feeling they're not clear.

This is all about helping others. If you have a wonderful experience at BB you may try to help others by telling them to become BB sellers. But if you have an overall negative experience you'll try to point what you think it's not working, so others can analyze and make their own decissions.

Frankly, I thank all those who try to give food for thought. The all-is-terrible, all-is-wonderful posts seem quite useless, though.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

•••
if people should be able to post anything BB related on this thread why are you attacking me?

Why cant I post anything I want?

Sure you can post anything you want just allow others to do the same. Every time someone has anything negative to say about BB you immediately jump on them. Now I understand if someone is posting false information but you seem to disagree with anything negative concerning BB. We aren't here to only talk about BB sales, and rainbows and unicorns.

I have a lot of money invested on the BB platform and I would like to know the good and the bad. Anything negative a person says should be taken as constructive criticism and hopefully the information is used to make the platform better.

I think we both want the BB platform to continue to grow and do well. I also think you agree with what I'm saying but the ego is difficult to let go. So with that said, I concede.

Last edited:
•••
2 years ago... I would have jumped on this program.

I joined BrandBucket in Oct 2014, submitted 930+ names and had 330+ accepted (published). Almost all the names were handregs. I had this ambitious goal and was driven to be one of the Top 10 players on the platform in account size. Along the way, I met several terrific and extremely insightful individuals. Most I met thru this thread and the NamePros Forum.

For the model I mentioned above, this new program is outstanding and I give kudos to BB for giving it a try.

But...

I would like to share this for anyone new to the "brandables" party....

I quickly realized over the past 2 years that ROC (return on capital) was key to "brandables" success. Revenue / total inventory is a terrific metric for measuring performance. And if your Sale $ average per inventory count did not exceed your Cost $ per inventory count on an overall litmus test, then you should reflect on your domain investment approach.

Along those lines, if you invest in "brandables" (whether on BB or any other marketplace) and do not receive at least a 2% sales rate on your inventory, you should seriously either consider selling off your portfolio to someone else and investing in all natural, piles of Flamingo shi*... or you should seriously consider finding ways to drive traffic to you each and every individual SLP (sales landing page) for each and every name you have listed on the site.

Sitting back and dreaming of riches is fun over drinks at New Years.

But taking action to help drive your sales rate and increase your cash flow is key to success.

Domains are investments, not trophies!!

Overall - I give kudos to BB for providing a program that would cut cost for those looking to ramp up and are dancing the "brandables" waltz. My only question... are you tracking size or taking action to drive ROC?

I hope the feedback is helpful...

-Jim

•••
99% of the rejections would never sell anyway. No wonder they are getting rejected.
Based on what evidence?

A substantial % of my 2016 revenue came from names rejected by BB.

•••
I stopped adding domains to my BrandBucket portfolio months ago (and recently sold off part of my BB portfolio here at NP). Not because of disappointing results (my dashboard indicates a sell through of 6.22% and average sales price of $3,047 for the past 12 months, top 3% of sellers), but because I'm disappointed by the unreliability and unpredictability of their management team.

I invested a lot of time and money into building up my BrandBucket portfolio and followed all of their rules. Then suddenly they decided to give every seller a character score, penalizing actions they never warned against before implementing this "new" set of rules. So even though I never broke any explicitly stated rules at BB, I suddenly had a restricted account in bad standing (in my case, mainly because I removed accepted names that I felt were underpriced by BB, and BB were not wiling to increase suggested prices, so I never proceeded to list them - something they never had any problem with prior to instituting their seller score system). I’ve contacted BB about this, and they have reiterated that my account should be in bad standing, as per their parameters for judging this. I know there are many sellers who never broke any of BrandBucket's rules, who now have accounts in bad standing, because they did something that BB later decided was not okay (retroactively changing the consequences of something they never had any problems with initially...).

A lot of sellers, including myself, spent a lot of time and money on building up a BB portfolio, finding domains to list at BrandBucket, paying $10 listing fee’s, industry-high 30% commission on sales + $100-$500 logo fee’s, and paypal payout fee’s after that, all while following their rules. But despite all the $ I and other regular sellers sent to BB, they suddenly decided to put a lot of good sellers accounts into bad standing, in an attempt to fix many of their own unwise decisions, such as permitting the BB reseller market, and the negative consequences that brought about. Yet, their actions to remedy all the structural bias favoring their inner circle have been minimal in comparison (and they have not done anything to "penalize" past misuses of the system by management). This clearly revealed their priorities, along with their willingness to throw their rule-abiding, listing-fee-paying sellers under the bus in an attempt to fix their own bad business decisions, while fully protecting their own interests, rather than properly owing up to their own mistakes, and treating their sellers (who are also their paying customers) fairly. Seeing this unfold has been really disappointing as a seller. As a result of these developments, I don't see BrandBucket as a dependable partner for the future, that will look out of my interests as a seller (or even treat me fairly), but will instead keep pursuing what is best for themselves, even if at times it is directly at odds with the interest of their regular sellers (who are paying customers who helped build up their business, and who make up the majority of their inventory).

I hope everyone who is still building up their BB portfolio will see great results from their investment, but also advice against focusing your entire domaining strategy towards only building up a BB portfolio. Marketplace-wide sales/results at BB are in large part subject to the decisions of their management team, and there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding where the platform is headed, how they might arrange their search algorithm (as the heated, now deleted, discussion about that in this thread showed), what kinds of rules or restrictions might suddenly be imposed on sellers, etc. One year ago, I never would have expected BB to deem my account in “bad standing” today, and one year ago, I would never have expected BB to have 40,000 or 50,000 names today (it appears they no longer display this number?). Similarly, I have no idea where they will be one year from now, in early 2018, so it's hard to make sound long term domain investing plans amidst so much uncertainty, and for that reason I am now focusing on the more stable and predicable model of just selling names through the good old free-to-list marketplaces (e.g. Afternic) instead.

•••
I removed all my names from BrandBucket as of 2 days ago. I had given my 30 day notice a little over a month ago. Sales had just become too slow for me.

In the end, I had a 1.9% sell-through rate over 2.5 years there, but more like a 0.9% or so rate over the past year.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back