IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch
Hello, I think it would be pretty useful to keep track of all LLLL.com sales , even the little ones under $100 so that , pretty soon , when the available LLLL.com will be finished , we`ll have a better idea on market prices.

It is important that these sales are confirmed. So before to post, make sure payment went OK.

I will start with todays` Sedo confirmed sales:

FISE.com 2,700 Euros
TSRT.com US $760
VEUP.com US $1,700

Also, I found interesting to see this average LLLL, getting bids up to $51 and reserve not me. It says it all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...110154111735_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I began acquiring LLLL.coms in 2001 and in 2015 I had more than 2500.
I've sold more than 1200 since 2004.
I've sold 232 directly to buyers and the rest through venues including eBay, Sedo, Traffic Domain Conference auctions, Heritage Auctions, Afternic/GoDaddy and NameJet.
I sold my first three on eBay July 10, 2004 (HATR.com $90, FDDD.com $50 and RNNN.com $50).
I sold 832 LLLL.com over a 30 month period from January 2016 to July 2018. 91% of these names were sold to Chinese buyers including the final one during this period which was OUEX.com for $4500 on July 7, 2018.

So far in 2019 I have sold three LLLL.com domains for a total of $10,680. ($5800, $3500, $1380)

I still hold 1500+ LLLL.coms and I am more bullish than ever. I am bullish because I see the interest and demand for short domains quickly growing worldwide.

85% of my current LLLLs are hand reg or purchased before 2009. I'm buying when I see something I like at a nice low price but that's happening less and less.

I'm predicting sales data, including my own, will show a substantial increase in the average sales price for LLLLs across the board in 2019. I expect this for CCC.com as well.

•••
Sold an American premium today:

Domain Name: FGAM•COM
Sale Date: 6/2/19
Venue: AFTERNIC
Sale Price: $6800 - $1270 commission = $5530 net proceeds
Type: BIN
Total Investment: $348 (Purchased for $255 at GD auctions on 12/22/2007 plus renewals)

•••
sold u/r/a/n.com for 25KUSD at Sedo

•••
Thanks for the info :)

Is there any "Lucky Letter(s)" like 8 in Numeric domains

No lucky letters, I think.
But 'Z' is really welcome here in China, because "ZhongGuo" is China in Chinese PinYin.
And Chinese like "Middle" very much, "Zhong" means "middle" in Chinese PinYin. Many many Chinse company name has "Zhong"...
The other most popular letter might be X, Y, S, C, ...

We Chinese like to divide the 4L into two parts, the first two letters and the last two letters.
If the first two is Big city of China, it will be very welcome, Such as: BJ(BeiJing), SH(ShangHai), GD(GuangDong)...
If the last two letters is some kind of business, such as: LC(LiCai, finance), ZX(online), KJ(Tech), SJ(Data), which would be very welcome.

And also "CN" is very popular in China so my ID is DotCN :)

•••
Completed a transaction to a Chinese investor today.
All 17 CHIPS for $2,000 each.

bhpq.com
fmrz.com
gbwx.com
hpjm.com
mjdt.com
nxlt.com
nzhc.com
nzmf.com
wfzh.com
wjkt.com
wkzy.com
wmlr.com
wnmr.com
wrmp.com
wxgl.com
wykl.com
wzmr.com

:$::D:$:

•••
Just posting this link to an old thread in case someone has any additional content pertaining to LLLL.com "buyout" history. It would be interesting if some kind of timeline could be established. I found another somewhat related thread from 2007 though not posting it here.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-llll-com-buyout-status-has-investors-worried.595507/

Here's a bit of insight on the history of LLLL.coms since the buyout

The LLLL.com buyout happened on November 2, 2007 (NamePros countdown thread).

After that, prices on the aftermarket rose quickly and hit a peak in Feb 2008 when the minimum price got to ~$50 for any LLLL.com.

By mid 2008 prices had fallen off quite a bit, the US was in the middle of what would be known as the Great Recession, and the stock market dropped off heavily after summer. With a bunch of renewals coming up on the anniversary of the buyout, things were not looking great.

As buyout LLLL.coms neared expiration, many owners sold for well under reg fee instead of dropping (some sold on ebay for 1 cent with just days left on registration). There were enough buyers to eat up all the inventory and renew for another year, and the buyout ended up holding.

For the next several years prices remained low for the worst LLLL.coms, with many purchased on drops or expired auctions for winnings bids of $10-15. There were occasionally days with a lot of drops, where not everything would be caught by the auction houses, and they could be scooped up by domainers with scripts. I seem to remember a day or two where there were actually a couple LLLL.coms that were available to hand register an hour or so after the drop. But essentially, the buyout has held ever since 2007 as far as I'm aware.

By 2014 China had started investing in LLLL.coms, and they really began pouring money into the market in 2015 which is when people took notice, and the concept of the Chip (no aeiouv) was born. Prices went crazy in the whole short domain market, and by the end of 2015 the minimum price hit ~$300 for any LLLL.com.

The bubble popped a couple months into 2016, and prices began to decline to where they are today, when the minimum price sit at ~$100 (where it has held steady for about a year now).

It's been a wild 12 years. I wonder what the next 12 have in store for LLLL.coms...

•••
Is it just me, or are prices for certain llll.coms at auction going up a lot right now? Just yesterday at NameJet and GoDaddy there were these results for what I would consider good, but not super premium names:

gapz.com $5000
teys.com $4400
slfp.com $3600
dlot.com $2100

On the other hand, ewdx.com fetched only $178 and dwvs.com $172.

It seems like there are bidder wars for certain names, while other names attract few bids...

I have noticed a similar pattern now for a few months. Must be investors trying to build a solid 4L.com portfolio and they are focusing on better quality.

Hi
Pronounceable 4L.com market has seen a growth from past 2 yrs.

Previously I used to buy good pronounceable for $100 to $250...Now its higher.

Untitled.png

Now I am paying more for these kind of names..

Last edited:
•••
In 8 days time (25th January) it will be 7 years since I started the LLLL.com Countdown thread (the discussion this thread continued on from)

Between the two there has been more than 850,000 views with more than 23700 comments. This ongoing 7 year discussion has significantly influenced my life over the last 7 years and taught me a lot. The popularity of the two threads was probably one of the more significant influencing factors as to why the short domain section of the forum was formed.

Thanks to everyone who has been part of this discussion. Thanks Italian Dragon for starting this thread.

•••
May I ask why?
Sure.

Number one : if you quote 1000 ( as an example ) they would tell the buyer 2000
Number two : if the negotiation stagnates they are super quick at offering the buyer other names that DO NOT belong to you.

That I have experienced first hand and it was enough for me to decide not to use their service anymore

•••
I've had 20 emails in the past week for some of my Chinese premium 4L's.

But today I just got an email from a Chinese investor offering me $475 each for my 150 LLLL.com's

That's $71,250 and no commission to pay, just escrow which I won't be paying anyway.

Still negotiating.........I may be holding a little longer as I don't think we've hit the peak yet.

Good luck all.

•••
QQGL.com 181 USD 2018-11-11 NameJet
BCRQ.com 161 USD 2018-11-11 NameJet

Chips are back to pre-2015 levels.

Thanks for sharing

Not all names created equally. All names are unique. I have few friends from China. Very good friends. They still do sale some Chips for Five Figure range on regular basis. But those have certain patterns. They shared what they are but still I never purchased one.

Why??

Because I only want to invest into something which I can understand and when time comes I can communicate with proper reasoning with historical facts for similar assets to potential buyer.

I just can’t say to my buyer to please buy BCRQ because BRQC sold for $3000 couple years ago.

We need to have little understanding and little study behind assets we hold.

There are several assets class inside 4L and all of them will stabilize sooner or later to realize it’s actual potential.

Just sharing as little student of 4L.

Thanks

•••
Sola.com currently belongs to Zeiss.

This is the story of the domain and former owners, Sola international

1956: A group of optical technicians in Adelaide, Australia, begin developing plastic lenses.
1960: Sola is incorporated as Scientific Optical Laboratories of Australia.
1979: Sola is acquired by Pilkington PLC.
1993: AEA Investors acquires Sola from Pilkington.
1995: Sola completes an initial public offering of stock.
2001: In a partnership with Safilo USA, Sola introduces eyeglasses with curved lenses.
2004: Carl Zeiss AGG and EQT Partners AB announce an agreement to acquire Sola.

Good news: Is not in use, so it may be for sale.
Bad news: Zeiss is a huge company.

•••
Since 2008 I've sold about 2900 LLLL.com domains with total profit of mere 15$k :)
To be particular I sold 1386 LLLL.com domains with 57$k profit and and 1507 LLLL.com domains with -42$k loss :) That's including all renewals, auction and paypal fees.

I wish I would had bought only those LLLL.coms that made me a profit :D

Unfortunately I had no any market-making end-user sales that would be in the top of DNJournal :(
I had only one 8k sale and one more 4.5k sale :(

These were different end-user sales, bulk sales, casual forum sales, auctions sales...

I still own more than 200 LLLL.com domains, mostly premium...

Unfortunately recently I have almost none end user sales but I don't plan to sell all my LLLL.coms, hoping to sell them time to time with hopingly profit.

Last edited:
•••
I'm getting more inquiries for my LLLLs in the past two months. Today I sold EZXR•COM on AFTERNIC for $3900 (net proceeds $3120). It was a BIN. I hand registered on 5/20/12 so I had $68 invested in this name.

•••
Today I tried to analyze why we saw price collapse in the end of March. Because largest player on LLLL.com market are deleting domains auctions (there are no much domainers that can sell 50-100 domains daily...) I decided to analyze number of drops.

I analyzed period from 01-Nov-2007 to 08-Apr-2008 for number of drops. This is more than 5 months of LLLL.com after-buyout reseller market.

You can download this graph to see what we have. It clearly represents current trend of number of LLLL.com drops.

Average number of drops daily:

November 96
December 70
January 79
February 50
March 50
April 36 (8 days)

Average number of drops without 3 largest and smallest values:

November 79.7
December 67.1
January 64.96
February 49.6
March 44.9
April 36.1 (8 days)

If current trend will continue we will see minimum number (5-6 drops daily in average) already in August!

In 2009-2010 we will have several deleting domains per week!

Now let's look at the prices what caused major price increase in the end of February - beginning of March. From graph you can see that number of drops in this period was stabilized and was just 30-50 daily without any jumps. That caused (together with SnapNames pricing politics at that time!) that all LLLL.coms were backordered. Expectations of even greater price increases moved domainers to outbid each other and prices went up!

However in March number of drops didn't decrease and there were days when more than 100 deleting domains were auctioned through SnapNames! When prices were in 20-40$ region market could consume even 500 drops (there were days in November (489 drops) and January (455), but 100 drops per day in a row with 60$ minimum backorder fee and with sudden flow-out of investors from LLLL.com market to other niches (.asia landrush was most active at this time) and with fears of global economy recession was a strong coincidence. Investors started waiting and waiting to see what happens. More drops + Less investors + premature LLLL.com price increase (some niches) = all this caused even greater prices decrease.

But look at major trend of LLLL.com drops! If it continues I think we can still expect 100$ minimum price for the worst LLLL.com in the end of year!

With each-month decreasing number of drops prices for all categories of LLLL.coms (especially quad-premium, triple-premium) will start to grow again and in a long run LLLL.coms are most profitable niche IMHO!

ps. I analyzed only Pool.com data without data from TDNAM and NameJet but though number of deleting domains at TDNAM is quite considerable I think that even data from Pool.com may represent current trends.

•••
As far as I'm concerned, I am selling a lot more lately and at much higher prices.

Back in November, I sent 40 domains on Namejet, mostly all Western premium with reserves set at $500 and only 1 sold.

This week I had 34 domains on Namejet, again, mostly all Western premium with reserve set at $500 and up. 20 auctions are ended and 8 sold. I still have 14 active auctions ending today and tomorrow and at least 3 of these 14 will sell because they reached the reserve I set already.

So right now I think the 4L market is very active and super hot for that category.

•••
It seems fute.com sold for $75,376 at Ename according to ShortNames.

•••
The bad has less people interested, the good has more people interested.
Hi

even in so-called "bad times", there are buyers waiting for good deals.

the up's and downs are repetitive, when seen in retrospect of time
as new domainers will aspire to covet them in their portfolio's as well.

and as is, they along with current community will have to choose from pool of availability, based on individual budget constraints.

imo...

•••
I don't mean to take up a sales thread, but since I'm being mentioned several times, I thought I would chime in.

Yes, I'm DDR_King (the "DDR" stands for Dance Dance Revolution, which is a hobby of mine - I'm the oldest player in the nation!) and ebatcave and John Bonk - all the same. I'm definitely a NOOB, but I also believe in holding onto certain ones for years. I decided to drop a few hundred grand over the past 8 weeks into the forum (and in side deals) because I saw the quick rise in prices. Unfortunately I wasn't as lucky as many of you getting these for reg fees and got into the game three weeks too late (what a difference a few weeks makes :)). At any rate, many of you didn't make out too bad from my purchases. I like getting a fair price but I'm not interested in pissing everyone off with lowball offers either. I can see for the next six months whoever you enter the LLL or LLLL.COM market, you should do okay. You guys must rely on new players to help push the reseller market. Ultimately, like everything else, things will stabilize because prices will be too high for other domainers to buy from each other on a regular basis (IMHO), so we'll all have to rely on end users for many of these domains.

At any rate, I've pretty much gotten my fill (other than buying a few here and there), so you can all go back to fighting each other over the auctions. You guys are great and I met some really progressive people. I've got to get many of these developed now to increase my parking fees. Anyone interested in helping me get there would be most appreciated (I'm a client-server developer, not much of a web developer, but my brother and son do it for a living).

Back to the sales channel.....

•••
disarmed said:
Being LLLL investors doesn't mean that we are all from the same cookie cutter. Maybe sometimes things get too personal for comfort. Nevertheless, we should continue to treat this thread as a good platform for sales data and objective discussion.
Rep Sent!

italiandragon said:
Does it matter to bring down the minimun price of LLL.com at $500 ?.
I think that Italian Dragon is just frustrated with all the talk about minimums and is trying to illustrate a point. For example, if DVD's are on sale for"buy one and get one free", this does that mean that the minimum value of a DVD is $0. Or, if I were to throw in a domain at reg. fee because the buyer made a big purchase, it doesn't mean the domain is worth reg. fee.

Alex said:
Everybody questions the integrity of Snoop (but he bashes .biz, .mobi too), while nobody questions anything on the other side....
It's not that anyone questions their integrity. Some people just question their knowledge of the market. As far as I know, Snoop is into LLL.com domains and Ecalc invests in keywords or CCC.com domains. Yet, they spend lots of time trying to convince others to follow their views and advice when it comes to LLLL.com's and especially the minimum values. Most people would much rather take advice from Reece or another LLLL.com investor and often, their lack of knowledge in this marketplace causes people to question their posts. It's really nothing personal. Everyone has a right to their own opinions.
My own complaints about this thread are that there are too many arguments about minimum values, premiums, etc., and not enough valuable discussions. Could you imagine a successful domainer like Rick Latona or Frank Schwartz running around stating the "sky is falling", the "sky is falling", everytime they saw a low sale? Nope, they'd swoop down and pick one up and enjoy it. Why not talk more about how to achieve the Maximum value out of your short domains. Also, talk about sales and marketing techniques for short domains.

IMO (In My Opinion for the Noobs)

1. There is NO minimum or maximum. A domain that sold for $22 at eBay, could sell for $150 on another venue. Or, if it was sold by a great broker, it could go for a couple thousand or more with the right marketing. If a domain sold for less than it should have, I would blame the seller more than anything else. Some people are lazy, other's are inexperienced, some get in over their head and allow everything to drop so yes, their will be some good deals now and then. But, these deals are far and few between when you consider there are 456,796 LLLL.com domains.

2. You CAN'T LUMP single premiums with other single premiums, double premiums with other double premiums, triple premiums with other triple premiums, etc., and arrive at any real price. There are just too many possibilities to consider. For example the letters e,i,w,n, thrown together make 256 possibilities, and all 256 are "triple premiums."
(Note: all prices are just made up to demonstrate a point and based only upon the English language.)
wine.com $3,000,000
ewin.com $30,000
iwen.com $2,500
wein.com $1000
wien.com $1000
weni.com $1000
wnie.com $50
wnei.com $25
enwi.com $200
and 248 more possibilities to go...thus, complaining that a triple premium sold for more than it was supposed to or less, makes little sense and the same goes true for single premiums and anti-premiums. Again, if it sold too low, it was more likely the fault of the seller who chose to sell that low.

3. There are NO BAD LETTERS. Around the world, different cultures prefer different letters. Some love Z's and Q's. So then why aren't they bidding on your qzsi domain at Namepros? Well it could be simply because your not advertising to the right crowd. Just because you can read "Low priced LLLL.com for just $29.95." Not everyone speaks great English, to lots of people your ad looks like this; XCVloi sdoindfs xdosinn ss zd ddok sdfoi xdcq aado0i. Or, your not approaching the right people. I doubt that qzsi.com Quality Zoo Supplies Inc. shops at Namepros. Or, you're selling too many similar domains at the same time which tends to devalue their uniqueness. Whatever the case, for people who go out and register thousands of domains that they don't know what to do with or how to market them, then to complain how hard it is to sell them. Why did you register them to begin with?

4. Big sales don't happen overnight. You could spend years waiting for one. Therefore if your short on cash, spend less time complaining and worrying about minimums and put that energy into developing the domains you plan on keeping. Try to make your domains pay for themselves so you can have the luxury of keeping them as long as it takes, rather than selling too early and regretting it later. Those who held onto their LLL.com's over the years did pretty well. IF and only IF LLLL.com's follow in their footsteps, it might be best to hold onto them, rather than sell. But remember not to get in over your head. It's better to hang onto a few good ones, than have lot's of sleepless nights worrying about registration fees you can't afford to pay. Plan for the future, but live for today.

•••
Here's an analysis of eBay sales trends over the past six months. I've excluded domains selling for more than $100 as I consider them outliers on eBay. All figures quoted below are based on trendlines calculated from weekly figures, thereby smoothing out irregularities.

Of course the usual reservation applies - "This is only eBay and so doesn't represent overall market trends." Very true, but it does represent eBay sales trends.

Mean prices have fallen over the last 6 months at an average rate of about $1.31 per month - that's a total of $7.86 over the period. The trend was a drop from $23.24 to $15.38, which is a fall of 41% based on the midpoint.

The corresponding figure for the last 3 months is even less encouraging. The average fall was about $1.94 per month.

Highs and lows were -

The best week - November week 2 - mean price $28.47

The worst week - March week 2 - mean price $13.24

Possible explanations -

1. Have average remaining registrations fallen? Yes, they have. This was particularly evident during April, when average remaining registration was about 4.3 months, compared to an overall November-March average of about 7.7 months. Overall the drop accounts for about 23 cents of the $1.31 monthly fall.

2. Has the quality of domains fallen over the period? I've seen no evidence to suggest that this is the case. Average quality has been pretty static.

3. Has the market been flooded lately? There were certainly a lot more domains on sale during April than previous months. Overall, the number of monthly sales has increased by an average 25 per month over the period, which is a whopping rise of 150 domains per month over the period. (The average monthly sales figure for the period was 466.) It's impossible to calculate what effect this has had on prices. I feel it must have had some effect, but doubt whether it completely explains the fall.

Taking the above into account, that still leaves an average monthly fall of $1.08 at least partly unexplained.

Here are the percentile trends -

The 5th percentile fell from $10.02 to $4.54, a fall of 75% based on the midpoint.

The 25th percentile fell from $13.18 to $7.76, a fall of 52% based on the midpoint.

The 50th percentile fell from $19.16 to $11.22, a fall of 52% based on the midpoint.

The 75th percentile fell from $28.13 to $18.79, a fall of 40% based on the midpoint.

The 95th percentile fell from $54.27 to $40.89, a fall of 28% based on the midpoint.

It's worth noting that the actual 5th percentile figure for the last week of April was just $1.18. However, the trendline smooths out such abnormalities.

In conclusion, it looks as though there has been a real price drop not completely explained by the recent flooding of the market. The fact that April week 4, when most of the flooding happened, wasn't the worst week over the period bears this out.

Finally an acknowledgement. My previous posts in this thread were based on data I collected myself. However, the above analyses were mostly based on data posted by Nem0 both here and (I assume) at llllsales.com. Thanks for doing that Daniel. I've repped Nem0 for his considerable efforts gathering and posting all this information. If you find this post useful I ask that you do the same.

•••
I'm not sure. I think it shows that prices are gradually rising toward a $1200 minimum, a trend that's even clearer if you use $1100 as the cutoff.

If anyone has time, it would be useful to know the total number of CP LLLL.com sales reported per day on LLLLsales.com over the same period.

I ran the numbers for Chinese Premiums from Sept 1 thru today and broke them down into 4 prices ranges:
  • $0 - $1000
  • $1000 - $1100
  • $1100 - $1200
  • $1200+

Here's how it looks:

date            <1000   <1100   <1200   1200+   total
2015-09-01      8                       2       10
2015-09-02      13              1       2       16
2015-09-03      10                      1       11
2015-09-04      4                               4
2015-09-05      6                               6
2015-09-06      2                       1       3
2015-09-07      29                      1       30
2015-09-08      10                      4       14
2015-09-09      13      1               2       16
2015-09-10      21      1       1       5       28
2015-09-11      22      1               2       25
2015-09-12      4               1               5
2015-09-13      3                       1       4
2015-09-14      18                      3       21
2015-09-15      20                      3       23
2015-09-16      11                      3       14
2015-09-17      15      1               1       17
2015-09-18      9       1               1       11
2015-09-19      6                               6
2015-09-20      3       3       1       3       10
2015-09-21      14      1       3       2       20
2015-09-22      5       4       1       3       13
2015-09-23      6       1       3       6       16
2015-09-24      3       2       1       4       10
2015-09-25              3       5       10      18
2015-09-26              1       4       6       11
2015-09-27              4       1       9       14
2015-09-28      1       1       4       9       15
2015-09-29              3       5       8       16
2015-09-30              1       3       5       9
2015-10-01              1       2       4       7
2015-10-02              2       7       5       14

It looks like there is only 1 reported sale under $1000 since 9/24. Also, since then it appears that prices have stayed pretty consistent with about half between $1000 - $1200 and half above $1200.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
•••
The Chinese are big believers (and investors) in ALL LLLL.com, that includes vowels and V. It's the rest of the world who doesn't see their value. The only reason the Chinese are not currently paying more than $300-$400 for LLLL.com with A E I O U V is because they don't have to. Americans and Europeans (companies, individuals and investors) have had twenty years to buy LLLL.com domains, and they still have the opportunity, but they don't value them. The Chinese believe strongly that short names have value. The price will certainly be driven up when inventory evaporates (and it will by the end of 2016) but 'savvy' US/EU investors still don't believe it. The rest of the world, collectively, cannot compete with Chinese investment in this area. It is crystal clear to me, after reviewing short domain acquisitions and sales from 2015 and attending NamesCon, that the domain industry is now OWNED by the Chinese. They are willing to pay much more MUCH MORE for short domains because they know short is better. Simple. The Chinese believe short is better and they are absolutely right. Do you want to sell to Chinese millionaires/billionaires who find domain names a fantastic and rare investment that can also be developed into massive, money-making companies or do you want to sell to the rest of the world that believes short domains with 'random' letters are still worthless. The domain auction sites (NJ, GD, Sedo, Flippa, etc) and the domain brokers who do not have an inventory of short domains will be of no interest to the Chinese in the future.

•••
fric.com sold for $3900 today on Namejet.

Fric is french for "cash" or "money". That was a great domain to catch. I bid up to $3800. It is an amazing french keyword. But because it is french, I did not know how fast I would have been able to resell it and how hard it would have been to find a french buyer so I walked away and stopped bidding.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back